Traveller/TSC oil

/ Traveller/TSC oil #41  
I hear about it all the time.

JobbersWorld Online News

Off spec 10w30 caused a lot of damage...

off spec? as in incorrect spec? then that's NOT what I'm refering to.

In the heavy equipment business and trucking industry, the tri county area i currently work out of.. I can't recall hearing of a lube related failure not counting the 'lack of lube' or wrong oil type.. ie.. hyd fluid used instead of gear oil.. etc.. etc..

/ Traveller/TSC oil #42  
strange how we almost never hear about a lube failuer when the correct rated oil is used.. no matter brand

I'll side with both views.

Grammatically speaking, Soundguy has a point. When he says "correct", then the 10w30 just cited does not fall into that category. Ergo, the engines would not have been allegedly damaged.

Foxtrot08's example is a good example of critical information that I watch for. Back to Justin's original question, this alleged problem with bulk oil should/would be an eye opener for many people. Maybe less so on TBN here, maybe not.

If the equipment manual calls for 10w30 and the owner takes it to a shop that is in good faith buying 10w30 from the distributor, Foxtrot's example illustrates well how badly things can still go wrong.

Taking a car in for an oil change, I'd say even many TBN'ers would not be closely questioning the oil certification levels on bulk oil. Even if they did, they likely would not hear any red flags in the example Ft8 cited.

The really scary part of this simple example is that most manufacturers of road vehicles have created an explosion of motor oil (amongst many other fluid) certification requirements in the last 5 years. Joe six Pack might remember SM, likely not 123.432.3647gx2 (nor me, for that matter).

Both of you guys raise important but different points concerning Justin's original question. These viewpoints actually bookend the overall concern quite well.

Rgds, D.

/ Traveller/TSC oil #43  
good point about all the hidden regs...

/ Traveller/TSC oil #44  
I see the last post here on Traveller UTF from Tractorsupply was about 9 months ago. I was wondering if anyone cared to amend/update their positions on this product.

My Kioti dealer is selling the Xtreme brand, that I see is also available from TSC. Traveller is about $38 and Xtreme is about $30, per 5 gallons. Online comments are all positive for the Traveller brand. My initial thought is Traveller is probably superior to Xtreme.

Since my dealer is selling the cheaper of these, I figure either is completely acceptable for my DK50 HST.

Thoughts?

/ Traveller/TSC oil #45  
I see the last post here on Traveller UTF from Tractorsupply was about 9 months ago. I was wondering if anyone cared to amend/update their positions on this product.

My Kioti dealer is selling the Xtreme brand, that I see is also available from TSC. Traveller is about $38 and Xtreme is about $30, per 5 gallons. Online comments are all positive for the Traveller brand. My initial thought is Traveller is probably superior to Xtreme.

Since my dealer is selling the cheaper of these, I figure either is completely acceptable for my DK50 HST.

Thoughts?

Extreme is a decent product. Its cheap because its the most popular around here. Rural King, TSC, Napa, Lowes, ect carries it. I can literally get it anywhere. I bet it out sells the competitors 10 to 1 around here.

Chris

/ Traveller/TSC oil #46  
it's the most common available here too.. I see mor eof it than even other store house brands.. etc..

/ Traveller/TSC oil #47  
Just had a conversation with my dealer about the UTF. He said, for Kioti HST, do NOT use type 303 oil. Instead, make sure it says "premium."

From reading everything I can find on the TSC Traveller UTF, it is "premium." I'm going to accept this fluid is perfectly acceptable for my DK50.

Viscosity @ 40ºC 57.05
Viscosity @ 100ºC 9.32
Viscosity Index 145
Pour Point, ºF (ºC) -43.6 (-42)
Flash Point, ºF (ºC) 424 (218)
API Gravity 31.18
Shear Stability Viscosity @100ºC 8.0
Brookfield Viscosity @ -20ºC 3,910
Brookfield Viscosity @ -35ºC 37,112
FOAM, TEND/STAB. Sequence I 0/0
FOAM, TEND/STAB. Sequence II 0/0
FOAM, TEND/STAB. Sequence III 0/0

/ Traveller/TSC oil #48  
it should have specs listed on it.. see if it meets the fluid specs for the kubota.

'303' is a very, very, old spec going back to whale oil days...