Transfer tank and transfer pump... location, location, location

/ Transfer tank and transfer pump... location, location, location #1  

rkeith

Silver Member
Tractor
GC1720 TLB
I have a transfer tank that I use as an axillary tank for my main fuel tank on my truck. I now want to use this for fueling my tractor so here are my questions...

1) My transfer tank is under my truck toolbox so do I need to get a new transfer tank that is L-shaped so that I have the tank exposed for mounting a pump?

2) Should I off-set my toolbox so that I can just mount my pump between the toolbox and front of my truck bed?

3) Currently I have a hand value that I will open and it'll fill my front tank on my truck from the transfer tank. Should I just mount my pump somewhere and just use the bottom outlet on the transfer tank and run a line to the fuel pump instead of mounting the pump on top of the transfer tank?

My pump is exactly like this!

The transfer tank looks like this but it came with the truck when I bought it so I'm not sure if it has the top fittings but the drain plug (using that now to fill my main tank) and the fill spout are in the same spot on my tank.

/ Transfer tank and transfer pump... location, location, location #2  
First off 32 gallons is not much. Second, to change it all around its going to run you nearly $800 time you add in the oumo and wiring.

If it was me I would buy a simple cube tank that is about 50 gallons or more and a electric pump with alligator clips. Use your FEL to set it in your bed or on your trailer when needed.

/ Transfer tank and transfer pump... location, location, location #3  
I have lived with two 5 gallon containers for many years, and have never felt deprived. 32 gallons seems like a real luxury to me.

I would look at your place for a spot where you could park the truck at a slightly higher elevation than the tractor and just use gravity flow as you do now. You might have to buy a longer hose, but the cost is minimal.