Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses?

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #1  

shady1701

Gold Member
I use a bunch of oil and have aquired quite abit my local oil disposal places have been giving quite a bit of problems saying i was dumping commercial and now i'm looking into using oil as a source of eather heat or possibly another use i've not thought of any ideas?

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #2  
If it's used engine oil it's considered hazardous. I'm not sure I'd take the chance of using it for anything else. If it came from somewhere else and you're sure of the prior use, sounds like using it for heat might be an option.

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #3  
An oil burning furnace is a nice option but they are expensive.
About 3k and up with storage tank, rack, etc..

You can make one yourself fairly inexpensive but you need
to be there when its running and keep an eye on it.

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #4  
How much is a lot? We used to be able to get 75 gallons hauled for free but Safety Kleen bought out a lot of the small operators and went up to 200 gallons before they would come get it without charge. Call a few auto repair shops and see who they use. I used to work for a couple of shops around here and they let me dump my oil in their tanks. Where are you buying your oil? If you are buying it at Auto Zone or somewhere like that they ought to let you dump your oil there.

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #5  
Our county has a municipal oil recycling disposal tank that costs nothing. Maybe your local government has something similar?
Mark

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #6  
Whatever you do, DON'T DUMP IT ON THE GROUND . It will contaminate the ground water. What I do with mine and I usually have a considerable amount, usually in the excess of 75 gallons, is, I give it to a shop in town that has a commercial waste oil furnace. If we have a cold winter, they usually run out so they are glad to take it.

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #7  
Try your tractor dealer also. They all have oil disposal tanks.

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #8  
shady1701,
My tractor dealer and many of the businesses in Central New York use waste oil heating systems and are happy to take used oil. If you would fill in your profile we might be able to provide better advice.

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses?
my place does have free oil collection something like 5gal a day last time i was there they refused they indicated i was dumping commercialy since the volume was so high.

i guess i'll have to get creative..

/ Used oil disposal ideas on ways of uses? #10  
How much oil are you generating? What is using that much oil?