Howes is Cloudy

/ Howes is Cloudy #1  

steveschlutt

Tractor
John Deere 2210
Has anyone experienced their Howes diesel supplement getting cloudy with age? I discovered a forgotten bottle in my barn, not certain how old... about half empty. It's slightly cloudy-- and I'm wondering if it's gone bad or contaminated in some manner. Do I dare use it? Running a John Deere 2210.

/ Howes is Cloudy #2  
Dont know about Howes, but recently here on TBN it was mentioned that there is an expiration date on Stabil after it is opened so I would say that as fuel treatments go, it has likely gone bad due to oxidation. Toss it and buy fresh.

/ Howes is Cloudy
INTERESTINGLY... I sent an email to Howes about this today, and someone from there actually CALLED me! I couldn't believe it!
He said that the product will cloud if stored for long periods at low temps, but it will still work just fine, it's okay to use it. And so I shall.

/ Howes is Cloudy #4  
Makes me wonder what is in it to cloud up in the first place if it is a low temp fuel treatment to prevent gelling. Glad I dont have to worry about fuel gelling here at my place. About as cold as it gets here is what it is this morning : 25F at daylight and sun is shining gonna warm up today to around 40F.

/ Howes is Cloudy #5  
OH, and I am gonna set here at my computer and watch the snow melt and the birds at the feeder. Maybe when it warms up, go into town to get some more bird seed, pick up my prescriptions at the pharmacy, maybe, if not then tomorrow or next day. Retirement is grand.

/ Howes is Cloudy #6  
Many of these fuel treatments will freeze below 32* if not mixed with fuel. Once they thaw out again, they are normally cloudy. I have seen this happen with unopened bottles.

/ Howes is Cloudy #7  
I guess I would have to ask if it is worth it if in doubt, it's not that expensive and I am admittedly a cheapskate. If the manufacturer told you it was fine though, then I would go with it. It is definitely in their better interest to tell you to buy another one... so they must mean it.