And I thought the Purolator filter was small.....

/ And I thought the Purolator filter was small..... #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Babysitting a car for a relative.

Went to change the oil today, using a new Purolator Pure One filter. Double checked the part # (2000 Civic), but remembered thinking when I picked it up "Small filter, compared to what I'm used to".

Then I pulled the old Penzoil filter off !

I'm pretty sure garden tractors run bigger filters than this !

Pics attached. Penzoil PZ-37 and Purolator PL14459.

Can OD's measure 2 5/8" and 3 1/8" by my eyeball.

I don't know if it was incompetence, or just a shop wanting to put another 32 cents in their pocket by using a smaller filter. Either way, I'll recommend to my relative that they discontinue using that service shop.

:mad:

Rgds, D.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
   / And I thought the Purolator filter was small..... #2  
That's normal Honda filter size. They switched to the smaller sized filter for all models except the S2000 in 2004 or so.

Honda engines are normally really easy on oil.

/ And I thought the Purolator filter was small..... #3  
3930dave I recommend you educate yourself before trying to educate others, especially relatives.

/ And I thought the Purolator filter was small.....
Thanks Peacock. Now that you mention it, the Pennzoil site does list PZ-37 for this application.

The Pure One is the correct PN, I'll stick with that. My buddy also checked his stock at his shop when I was there today, his Mopar filter for this application is still the larger sized can too.

Haven't used Pennzoil filters before, can't say I will be in a hurry to.

Being in Canada, the factory recommendation is for 6k km OCI, so that is one thing.

The USA Normal Service interval for this oil filter is 15,000 miles. "Correct" listing or not, I wouldn't want that tiny Pennzoil on anything I owned, anywhere close to that long. Another buddy dropped by the shop today, he figures (seriously) the stock filter on his ATV is larger.

I like to think that Honda knows a thing or 2 about designing engines, but I'll stay away from these tiny filters as long as I have an alternative.

Rgds, D.

/ And I thought the Purolator filter was small..... #5  
That tiny filter is the size that Honda uses OEM. That's what they recommend for the 7500 oil change and 15k filter changes.

/ And I thought the Purolator filter was small..... #6  
And I'd put Honda 4 and 6 cylinder engines up against anyone's for long term durability.

And I'd put Honda 4 and 6 cylinder engines up against anyone's for long term durability.

I've never owned a Honda. I have one (maintenance aware) friend who dumped a Civic due to motor wear/oil issues. That car had been dealer "serviced", so I don't really consider that an engine failure - that Honda dealer is a known scumbag. The maintenance on that car was paid for, whether it was done or not is another issue.

I have no personal issues, so far, with Honda engines.

Rgds, D.

3930dave I recommend you educate yourself before trying to educate others, especially relatives.

I'm all for education. :thumbsup:

Let's ignore for the moment that both the larger can Purolator I used, and the Mopar I verified, are parts approved by major suppliers for this application.

Aside from (mechanical interference) clearance issues, please educate me as to what engine related problems can be created by using a larger, higher capacity filter.

Of course, assume that all physical mounting, gaskets, oil return holes, and pressure relief settings match up between the filters being compared. Wouldn't dream of doing this otherwise.

Using a larger, higher capacity oil filter creates __________________________ problems ?

Rgds, D.

/ And I thought the Purolator filter was small..... #9  
I use a larger filter on my 05 TJ and 89 F250 7.3 IDI with no negative results along with many others out there. Both are not the recomended filters but larger versions.

I have run into some filers that have changed dimensions over the year, to include Ford FL-820S and Napa Gold (Wix) filters. Always throws me off when doing a change, worried that I got the wrong filter but have never foudn ti to be wrong. Always wondered if in fact the surface area changes for better or worse though. In any case more oil is always better so I go with the larger filter.

/ And I thought the Purolator filter was small..... #10  
I think the oil filter on my 07 Sierra HD is about the same size as the one on my 98 Honda Accord was.

The Honda made it to 317,XXX before the transmission started not working right. Still sold it for $900.