Ford 4600 transmission fluid

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #1  

rjman

Tractor
TYM T474
I am looking to change the transmission fluid in my Ford 4600. From what I understand, the transmission fluid is separate from the hydraulic fluid on this tractor. I have seen plenty of information on the hydraulic fluid, but am having difficulty finding information on what type of transmission fluid it takes, how much it takes, and if there is a filter or not for the transmission fluid and if so where is it located?
Hopefully there are some other Ford 4600 owners who have done a transmission fluid change or others that know the answers to these questions.
Thanks.

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #2  
utf in all sumps but the crankcase.. 15w40C rated in that crankcase unless you are in the arctic ( 10w30C rated ).. or a 5w40 C rated syn.

UTF meeting the M2C134 spec...

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #3  
Soundguy is right.
Universal Tractor Fluid. (hydra-trans) Do yourself a favor and buy the good stuff. I use Mobilfluid 424

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #4  
to an old 1976 vintage ford.. any utf made in the last 20ys is 'the good stuff'

:)

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #5  
to an old 1976 vintage ford.. any utf made in the last 20ys is 'the good stuff' :)
LOL :laughing: That's funny, but don't give up your day job. ;)

What I was talking about was the "economy" UTF that some folks used around here. Lots of loggers, so every little gas station, tire shop, etc, would have buckets of the stuff for sale.
Some of the off-brand oil was just awful. When you emptied the bucket, there would be a 1/2" or more of "sludge" in the bottom.
My point is, good quality UTF is usually a few more $ per bucket.

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #6  
i'm not arguing that you can pay more for premium oil.

what I'm saying is you are running a machine that was designed with 1970 oil technology in mind :)

aside from some viscosity issues. just about any utf you can find manufactured today will be fine for that old ford.

I know for a fact I have seen people run 10w30 in the hyds.. and atf int he trans.. not just red dyed hytran.. but real mercon or dexIII

mard yo beat the reliability of those old non picky systems.

heck.. it wasn't until 76 that they even had an externally serviceable filter for the hyds.. :)

LOL :laughing: That's funny, but don't give up your day job. ;)

What I was talking about was the "economy" UTF that some folks used around here. Lots of loggers, so every little gas station, tire shop, etc, would have buckets of the stuff for sale.
Some of the off-brand oil was just awful. When you emptied the bucket, there would be a 1/2" or more of "sludge" in the bottom.
My point is, good quality UTF is usually a few more $ per bucket.

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #7  
We have owned several Fords over the years.They are not very pick when it comes to hydraulic fluid. Deere machines are picky about hydraulic fluid

i'm not arguing that you can pay more for premium oil.

what I'm saying is you are running a machine that was designed with 1970 oil technology in mind :)

aside from some viscosity issues. just about any utf you can find manufactured today will be fine for that old ford.

I know for a fact I have seen people run 10w30 in the hyds.. and atf int he trans.. not just red dyed hytran.. but real mercon or dexIII

mard yo beat the reliability of those old non picky systems.

heck.. it wasn't until 76 that they even had an externally serviceable filter for the hyds.. :)

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #8  
We have owned several Fords over the years.They are not very pick when it comes to hydraulic fluid. Deere machines are picky about hydraulic fluid

Do all modern Deere's use the same hydraulic / transmission oil? I noticed my local farm & fleet store sells it in 10 gallon pales labeled "for Deere's".

/ Ford 4600 transmission fluid #9  
Manual lists capacity as 13.8 quarts for trans and 33.9 quarts for hydraulic system.

Trans should have a dipstick and level plug somewhere near your right heel to verify hydraulic.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4600 transmission fluid #10  
Do all modern Deere's use the same hydraulic / transmission oil? I noticed my local farm & fleet store sells it in 10 gallon pales labeled "for Deere's".

check the machines manual for the spec oil it uses.