Oil Filter Comparison

/ Oil Filter Comparison #91  
Same for oils, Kubota or JD or NH or any other tractor company doesn't run a refinery and the oil that is bottled in that container is run from a batch of same quality, type etc that may have a dozen different name labels put on them but come from bulk tanks from a particular refinery being Shell, Exxon, Chevron or Valero as those are the big boys making oil. A few small specialty refineries make some products like Amsoil but I don't know if they refine or just put in additives to someone elses oil. But my point is not one manufacturer of equipment runs a refinery or filter manufacturing plant and relies on filters or oil from others that meet their requirements. Is one better than another, maybe but that has not been proven to me.

Funny that you mention that. I had someone once swear that Harley Davidson had their own refinery and that they made all the oil with their brand on it. I was dumbfounded that someone could believe that.
I never did learn who does refine HD's oils. But then again I didn't really care. I get it changed regularly at an indie shop so it isn't a concern.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #93  
Did fram pay for the engine?? They have a warrenty i think? I would have submitted notes as well as the change log or showing the dates it was changed and the oil used in the vehicle and mileage as well as the collapsed filter on a letter head from your attorney. I know you could never go to a court battle with them but would think that they would make it right as this is such a rare event. This is actually the first time i have heard something like this from a person it actually happened to.

i agree. while i have heard the odd story.. ' my friend's briother's sister, heard of a guy who had a nehhiew, etc.. that had an oil filter failure with fram, and quaker state oil :)

this is the first i've ever actually found someone that said that oit was them the stories were about.. :)

/ Oil Filter Comparison #94  
etc.. that had an oil filter failure with fram, and quaker state oil :)

I seem to remember that Quaker State failure was a big topic of conversation in the late 70's or early 80's in this area. I guess that I don't recall anyone personally that had the supposed problem.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #95  
I seem to remember that Quaker State failure was a big topic of conversation in the late 70's or early 80's in this area. I guess that I don't recall anyone personally that had the supposed problem.

same here. heard lots of quaker state stories. never met a person that said his machine suffered a lube failure though.

i suspect it's kinda the same deal onthe ford 6.0 problem.

I'm sure plenty had problems. and then those 'plenty' of stores became hundreds of thousands once they hit the internet.. till everyone you talk to is too scared to buy a ford 6.0.. etc.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #96  
I've had to delete at least three double posts in the last week. The common theme when it seems to lose its mind is when a popup asks me if I really want to leave that page? I am sure not an IT guy, but I do know that message
hasn't come up in normal use.
When that box comes up, click on the X and then reload the page, clicking on yes or no will result in a double post.
I do know same stuff for boats is higher than the exact stuff for automobiles also.
Boat stuff (ie: alternators, starters, etc) often has to be non-sparking so that if you have fumes in the engine compartment they are less likley to explode.

Aaron Z

/ Oil Filter Comparison #97  
as promised here are some pics of my Fram Ultra filter (formerly Fram extended guard).

Here is a pic of the filter before surgery
untitled.jpg

here are the main components, notice the metal filter element ends with paper gasket, though it does have the same spring as the basic filter
untitled-2.jpg

here is the element stretched out with the old "can" in the background for size reference
untitled-3.jpg

here is a closeup of the metal screen from the backside of the filter
untitled-4.jpg

I am no expert, so take these for what they are- pictures. I am not trying to analyze these for you, draw your own conclusions. When I changed my oil this time, they were out of the Frams so I bought a bosch instead. In a couple months if this thread is still going, I will cut that open for you to enjoy as well. It appeared to be a quality filter as well, we'll see.

/ Oil Filter Comparison
as promised here are some pics of my Fram Ultra filter (formerly Fram extended guard).

Here is a pic of the filter before surgery
View attachment 304799

here are the main components, notice the metal filter element ends with paper gasket, though it does have the same spring as the basic filter
View attachment 304800

here is the element stretched out with the old "can" in the background for size reference
View attachment 304801

here is a closeup of the metal screen from the backside of the filter
View attachment 304802

I am no expert, so take these for what they are- pictures. I am not trying to analyze these for you, draw your own conclusions. When I changed my oil this time, they were out of the Frams so I bought a bosch instead. In a couple months if this thread is still going, I will cut that open for you to enjoy as well. It appeared to be a quality filter as well, we'll see.

Do you have a picture with the filter media flipped over?

/ Oil Filter Comparison #99  
Their high end filters have good specs too.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #100  
Do you have a picture with the filter media flipped over?

I can get one, just didn't think that would be of interest to you guys. It can be telling of an engine I suppose, but didn't know if you could take much from it from a filter quality standpoint. What in particular are you looking for so I can try to get a picture that will be useful? Close up of the fibers?