Oil Filter Comparison

/ Oil Filter Comparison #101  
A little light reading about oil filter failures.
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/Councils/Filter-Manufacturers-Council/TSBs-2/English/88-3R2.pdf
The last engine I built for my race car, a SBC 350, I replaced the oil pump. The pump instructions said that the over pressure hole on the side of the pump must not be restricted. The fact is that oil pumps are no different than a hydraulic pump in your tractor, two gears meshing. The pressures they can reach if the over pressure valve fails are in the 1000s of psi range. That's well beyond the range an oil filter can handle. Oil pumps are designed to dump the excess pressure out of the over pressure hole and back onto the oil pan. The flow of the pump is designed to include that oil flow as well as the oil going to the filter. If that hole gets plugged or the valve itself fails then it's up to the oil filter and the engine's bypass valve to deal with the excess flow and pressure. If you do a search for "collapsed oil filter" you find all sort of "don't buy Fram" sites but if you look a little further you'll find almost every brand filter collapsed.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #102  
I guess that's why buying a heavy case filter like a K&N or a Mobil 1 makes sense in that application. When you've got your blood sweat and tears in a motor, a couple extra bucks for a filter makes sense to me.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #103  
I guess that's why buying a heavy case filter like a K&N or a Mobil 1 makes sense in that application. When you've got your blood sweat and tears in a motor, a couple extra bucks for a filter makes sense to me.

Agree 100% about the extra $$ for a quality filter is well spent. I change the oil and filter on my GMC once a year...what's an extra $5 for the K&N? And the heavy case makes it easier to remove the filter when you have to stick a screwdriver thru it for removal...:laughing:

/ Oil Filter Comparison
I can get one, just didn't think that would be of interest to you guys. It can be telling of an engine I suppose, but didn't know if you could take much from it from a filter quality standpoint. What in particular are you looking for so I can try to get a picture that will be useful? Close up of the fibers?

I just wanted to see how close the pleats in the filter media were.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #105  
There are huge differences between oils that just meet the minimum specifications and those that exceed the minimum specifications.

The same thing goes for filters

Statements like these are what results in folks searching the internet or talking to other people looking to uncover some "secret".

If an engine manufacturer comes up with a specification for an engine oil or filter, (or anything else for that matter), they don't come up with that set of specifications based upon the end-user operating that engine with kid gloves only under the optimum set of circumstances. Any "minimum spec" any engine manufacturer comes up with for an appropriate oil or filter, means that that specification is adequate.

Far too much of this "minimum spec" nonsense is used to sell stuff that isn't necessary and will provide no benefits. It's just as ridiculous as making a similar statement about a "minimum spec" for sizing the wiring in your home for a receptacle being inadequate.

So-called "minimum specs" simply are not teetering on the brink of failure like some folks, (and companies), want to you believe.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #106  
Here you go Roger, is this what you were looking for?

untitled-6.jpg
untitled-5.jpg

/ Oil Filter Comparison #107  
When you've got your blood sweat and tears in a motor, a couple extra bucks for a filter makes sense to me.

A cheap oil filter may save a little money now, but it can cost you dearly in the end. Been there, done that.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #108  
A cheap oil filter may save a little money now, but it can cost you dearly in the end. Been there, done that.

I recall the ads Fram had at one time: "You can pay a little more now, or a lot more later" and it seems ironic now, given the negative reputation Fram seems to have for filters.

Just FYI here: I owned nothing but Ford products from 1978-1998, and used nothing but Fram oil filters in every engine my vehicles had. Back then Fram was considered a very good product and I had no misgivings whatsoever about the quality.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #109  
As of right now i dont go looking for frams to use but if it is on a deal i get i use it on one of the older vehicles. I have to admit most of my hesitance is from this internet "lore" of them, BUT i do admit that looking into the filters i sometimes see plastic in them when i use to see metal in the same application, which has driven me away more than the so called falure stories that you hear on the net.. Massey being the first to actually say that it happened to him on one of his vehicles with a fram.