Oil Filter Comparison

/ Oil Filter Comparison #11  
I see nothing here that would prevent me from using a Fram. I change my oil between 3000 and 3500 miles and have never had a problem getting to 200k miles on an engine. I buy what ever is on sale, usually the 5 quarts of oil and a either a Fram or an STP filter from Autozone. If an engine can last that long starting in sub zero temps we see in winter I'd say that even the cheapest of filters are more than adequate.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #12  
I don't go out of my way to use fram but I wont refuse to use them either. I use to go out of my way to get them cause I liked the grip. But them I stopped and noticed that they were not as quality built as they use to be in the spring end. I do also not like the cardboard ends for the oil.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #13  
I never would use Hastings filters because of the wadded cotten filter media they were using 30 years ago. Ken

for some applications.. that filter media is imperative. for instance. many allis chalmers machiens misbehave without that type of floss media... the c159 fram filter has it. it's widely used.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #15  
This is a great link that I found that goes through the inner workings and differences of just about every filter out there.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Edit: It appears the link does not function any longer, but here is a screen print I did a while back for my own info.

Attachments

• Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources.pdf
    491.3 KB · Views: 316
   / Oil Filter Comparison #16  
One of the interesting items I found in the article minimopar put together was that a noisy valve train sometimes was the result of using the std Fram filter. It referenced the anti-drainback valve as the culprit.

/ Oil Filter Comparison #17  
Do you cut all of them after use, or just samples?

/ Oil Filter Comparison
I don't cut all of my filters but it would not be a bad thing to do.

/ Oil Filter Comparison
   / Oil Filter Comparison #20  
I have been a Baldwin dealer for 15 years , been through the Kearney Nebraska plant , sold many , many filters , they have a great product and service .