Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Oil Filter Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    And your "point" is....????
    same paert.. sold for a 'cheap' application many times.. is priced cheaper.

same part sold for a high priced application.. is more.

have seen it PLENTY of times....

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    because it is for a saturn L.

go to napa nd buy a set of points for a ford 8n.

now go buy a set of points for an old muscle car that uses a equivalent ( crossover ) set.

the tractor points are cheaper.
    I has a Ecotec that is used in GM small cars. A filter at Napa is a little over $8 for it.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Industry, Pa- - 5 mi. north of Ohio River
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4510, Ford '48 8N, Ford '53 Jubilee, Power King 1614

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    I have never cut open a filter, I would plan to use a cut off wheel but not sure if the sparks and shavings are going to be good. What do you guys usually use?
    on ebay search for "oil filter cutter". They have them on there. I got one there I use for aircraft filters...

Tom
    Kioti 2012 DS4510 with FEL
    Ford 1948 8N
    Ford 1953 Jubilee
    Power King 1614
    Various 3 pt. equipment
    Sold: Ford 1946 2N, Kioti 2011 DS3510

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    same paert.. sold for a 'cheap' application many times.. is priced cheaper.

same part sold for a high priced application.. is more.

have seen it PLENTY of times....
    I remember a friend of mine had a Cessna 150 airplane and needed a new carb and it was like $400. He was checking the model numbers and found that the Super C Farmall tractors used the same carb model and was $50. Same with alternator, used a Motorcraft alternator that was 5 times more expensive than exact same one for a car. Same quality but in order to get aviation certs required lots to testing so they wanted their money back. Likely same with some automobile specs might cause them(filter manufacturer) to have to do a lot of testing in order for the automobile mfg. to accept the filter, but then again might be something entirely different.
    I do know same stuff for boats is higher than the exact stuff for automobiles also.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Some same discussion going on in the kubota forum about using genuine Kubota oils and filters. Folks making all kinds of claims that OEM is better than generic but what no one has mentioned is that regardless of what is made whether tractor, car, boat or airplane, the equipment manufacturer doesn't make filters or oil. Someone else does and are contracted to paint the filters green or orange or blue and put on some specific name but they are still the same filters that you could buy with a trademark name like Wix or whatever but less cost than dealer sells them for. Same for oils, Kubota or JD or NH or any other tractor company doesn't run a refinery and the oil that is bottled in that container is run from a batch of same quality, type etc that may have a dozen different name labels put on them but come from bulk tanks from a particular refinery being Shell, Exxon, Chevron or Valero as those are the big boys making oil. A few small specialty refineries make some products like Amsoil but I don't know if they refine or just put in additives to someone elses oil. But my point is not one manufacturer of equipment runs a refinery or filter manufacturing plant and relies on filters or oil from others that meet their requirements. Is one better than another, maybe but that has not been proven to me.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Farmall

There's nothing on earth that can get 10 mile long parade of sacred cows going like questioning what oil filters or motor oil is best.

Don't over think it. Don't listen to the noise. Just put a Baldwin filter on it, and you'll be certain you're doing right.
    "I know the end of humanity is near when my tractor comes with a place to store and plug in a cell phone, but no tool box" -- God's Country

Tractor
    Farmall

There's nothing on earth that can get 10 mile long parade of sacred cows going like questioning what oil filters or motor oil is best.

Don't over think it. Don't listen to the noise. Just put a Baldwin filter on it, and you'll be certain you're doing right.
    "I know the end of humanity is near when my tractor comes with a place to store and plug in a cell phone, but no tool box" -- God's Country

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Same for oils, kubota or JD or NH or any other tractor company doesn't run a refinery and the oil that is bottled in that container is run from a batch of same quality, type etc that may have a dozen different name labels put on them but come from bulk tanks from a particular refinery being Shell, Exxon, Chevron or Valero as those are the big boys making oil.
    I worked maintenance at Pertro Canada on SouthDown Road Mississauga. Got to know the staff in the gasoline and lube oil test labs. Spent some time in there working on equipment. I can assure you that every tanker of 10W-30 lube oil,ATF and even wheel bearing grease is a unique and propriatory formulation. That GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyoto and Honda etc specified. One size does not fit all.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by buickanddeere View Post
    I worked maintenance at Pertro Canada on SouthDown Road Mississauga. Got to know the staff in the gasoline and lube oil test labs. Spent some time in there working on equipment. I can assure you that every tanker of 10W-30 lube oil,ATF and even wheel bearing grease is a unique and propriatory formulation. That GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyoto and Honda etc specified. One size does not fit all.
    If that is the case, how is it possible that you can mix different brands of motor oils and wheel bearing grease and the resulting mix of product will usually be compatable? Surely there cannot be THAT much difference in the formulation. I recall back about 1967, my dad owned a '53 Chevy with the Stovebolt six, and he put all kinds of different brands and weights of oil in the engine and when I asked him if that was okay, his reply was: "Oil is oil...."
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Z71
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere X728SE

People falsely assume all oils are the same. Oil is Oil, Right? Wrong! Nothing could be farther from the truth. There are huge differences between oils that just meet the minimum specifications and those that exceed the minimum specifications. A car is a car but a Cruze is not a Corvette. Same goes for lubes.

The packaged OEM and other private label brands (Walmart, John Deere, kubota etc) will meet the OEM's minimum specs. No more, no less. It is typically produced by the lowest bidder and when things are made by the low bidder, often times short cuts are taken in order to make a profit.

Example This Antifreeze Is Defective: It Froze Solid
    Mike
    2012 GMC AWD Sierra Denali 6.2L
    2010 J D X728SE w/47" snow blower
    2009 Cadillac CTS4 3.6L
    2006 Honda Rincon 680

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast