Diesel Siphon Hose

/ Diesel Siphon Hose #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Need about a 12' hose to siphon 50-gallons of diesel from one transfer tank to another 55-gallon drum. What can I use that would not be damaged by the fuel? Typical fuel lines available at the auto supply are too small in diameter. I have a DC electric tank mounted pump but it is a pain moving it from one tank to another. With a siphon I could get it started and walk away. Any suggestions on starting the flow without a lung full of fumes or a mouth full of fuel?

/ Diesel Siphon Hose #2  
I have a boat sump pump about 15 dollars at Wally World, with some hoses attached. Connect up with your battery using alligator clips etc. and it will pump all the diesel you want. You can move it around and use it wherever you want. I carried it in my side by side in case of overheating. Could get to a creek and pump water to the radiator. But, will work with diesel fuel and they are cheap.

/ Diesel Siphon Hose #4  
Any old PVC garden hose will work for this as it is same material used in those siphon pumps. One of the jiggle hoses that has a checkvalve on the end that you shove into the tank and jiggle up and down takes the danger of a mouthful of liquid out of the equation. Most folks have at least one old hose around that has lost or damaged the end and that will work. IF you have a long hose, you can just push it into your tank for several feet, then clamp your finger over the end and pull the excess out of the full drum while lowering the exit end and it will siphon out without sucking one it. You just have to get enough liquid in the hose to get it down below the entrance point on the hose and it will auto siphon. The greater difference in height between the two containers the faster it will flow.

/ Diesel Siphon Hose #5  
is this a one-time deal? if so, who cares how well the hose holds up, I am sure it will last long enough for you to empty the tank.

/ Diesel Siphon Hose
is this a one-time deal? if so, who cares how well the hose holds up, I am sure it will last long enough for you to empty the tank.

This is the reason the space shuttle crashed and burned. "It's just one launch."

No - I have two 55-Gal drums and a 50-Gal transfer tank, I planned to use my DC pump but it due to a variety of reasons it is just too much work. Just wanted to find out if someone had found a cheap solution, I have some old hose lying about and if it will not dissolve and contaminate the diesel that is what I will use.

Thanks for your responses.

/ Diesel Siphon Hose #7  
The clear tubing sold at most box stores are HDPE compliant and work well for most fossil fuels...it's what I use for diesel...
comes up to 1.5" diameters...

/ Diesel Siphon Hose #8  
I've used 1/2 inch clear sight hose to siphon diesel fuel out of combine tank when I needed to change a fitting at the bottom. Bore a hole about 1/4" in the side of the hose, up about 3" from the OUTLET end of the sight hose (or whatever you use for hose). Poke the other end of the hose in the full barrel. Get the other end just inside the empty barrel. Stick an air hose blowgun tip in the small hose you bored in the side of the hose, pointing it toward the empty barrel. Squeeze the blowgun to go. You'll see the fuel coming down the hose and when it gets about to the blowgun, remove the blowgun and poke the hose into the empty barrel. Obviously you have to have the height of the bottom of the full barrel above the top of the empty barrel for any kind of siphon to work.
The blow gun pulls the fuel up the hose on the full barrel end just like if you were sucking on the empty end of the hose. This way you won't have to spit, gag, choke, and barf the fuel out of your mouth. Been there done that. Done this several times. Best not to have to siphon anything, anytime, but when you have to, well, you have to.

/ Diesel Siphon Hose
The clear tubing sold at most box stores are HDPE compliant and work well for most fossil fuels...it's what I use for diesel...
comes up to 1.5" diameters...

This was my first choice but the plumbing guy at Lowes was sure it would disolve in diesel. Oh well, we can't all know everything. Is HDPE rating stamped on the box?

/ Diesel Siphon Hose
I've used 1/2 inch clear sight hose to siphon diesel fuel out of combine tank when I needed to change a fitting at the bottom. Bore a hole about 1/4" in the side of the hose, up about 3" from the OUTLET end of the sight hose (or whatever you use for hose). Poke the other end of the hose in the full barrel. Get the other end just inside the empty barrel. Stick an air hose blowgun tip in the small hose you bored in the side of the hose, pointing it toward the empty barrel. Squeeze the blowgun to go. You'll see the fuel coming down the hose and when it gets about to the blowgun, remove the blowgun and poke the hose into the empty barrel. Obviously you have to have the height of the bottom of the full barrel above the top of the empty barrel for any kind of siphon to work.
The blow gun pulls the fuel up the hose on the full barrel end just like if you were sucking on the empty end of the hose. This way you won't have to spit, gag, choke, and barf the fuel out of your mouth. Been there done that. Done this several times. Best not to have to siphon anything, anytime, but when you have to, well, you have to.

That is an ingenious solution, not sure it is practical for my situation as I don't have a local AC power source for the compressor but thanks for sharing.