diesel winter storage

/ diesel winter storage #1  

Fracture

Tractor
2003 NH TN65 4x4 & 2011 Kioti 55 4X4
Can anyone help me with winter diesel storage. I'm in way upstate NY conditions and my dealer said I should use jelling prevention in the View attachment 298896fuel. I've been using "Sta-bill" brand but I was wondering what you smart people feel is the best choice. I purchased the products you see in the photo from the dizzying assortment available, but I 'm not sure what to use. What do you recommend?

Thanks
Gino

Attachments

• 2013-01-06_16-33-45_777.jpg
    2013-01-06_16-33-45_777.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 196
   / diesel winter storage #2  
I use Power Service in the white jug all year.

/ diesel winter storage #3  
I purchased the products you see in the photo from the dizzying assortment available, but I 'm not sure what to use. What do you recommend?

Thanks
Gino

From left to right... The Howes is what I am currently using year round, never had any problems. Never used the STA-BIL. The "white" Power Service is what I used to run year round, also never had any problems. The "red" Power Service 911 is for when the fuel is already gelled.

/ diesel winter storage #4  
I use what the suggest right off his self..never had problem.

/ diesel winter storage #5  
I use the White container of Power Service. It's important to add it to the diesel before the temps drop to 32 degrees. If below 32, use the PS 911.

David

/ diesel winter storage
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm curious though, is year round use of a conditioner something i'd be foolish to go without or is this something that just "can't hurt". Just trying to get a feel if you think it's essential for engine preservation and/or efficiency. I have limited diesel experience.

Thanks again, you guys are a big help.
Gino

/ diesel winter storage #7  
The new ULSD is as thin as water. It lacks the lubrication properties the older fuel had.

A conditioner will provide that lubrication for the pump and injectors, reduce build up on the injectors, increase power, reduce smoke and rough idle and help separate the water from the fuel to be collected in the sediment bowl.

It's cheap insurance if you ask me.

/ diesel winter storage #8  
Around here all the pros use Howse. That says a lot to me. I have had diesel trucks and equipment since 1998 and no issues yet.

The Red 911 is good to de gell fuel. I would keep it on hand.

Chris

/ diesel winter storage #9  
I only use TC3W in my fuel; nothing else is needed in my book. And my BX24 has seen -12 F and 110F without issues.

/ diesel winter storage #10  
I pick up my Stanadyne (Performance Formula and Lubricity) in upstate NY at D&W. If you need large quantities, 55 gal are available.

Diesel Fuel Additives - Stanadyne

Part of why I like Stanadyne is that it contains No Alcohol, and for how they approach water mitigation (de-emulsifying or coagulating tiny particles of H2O). That, and the fact they have also been building fuel injection components for quite a while.

Stanadyne freaked me out one day. I had a question, and ended up leaving a message on a voicemail that turned out to be the VP of Sales. That was around 9:00am on a weekday.

That VP (can't remember the name) call me back, around 10:30am the same day !

If I was the Chief Engineer at Penske, I'd expect that level of responsiveness. I'm just a guy, maintaining his own personal equipment, so I was seriously impressed.

Rgds, D.