Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk?

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #1  

PandDLong

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540, JD Z445 Mower, JD LX188 Lawn Tractor
I've been challenged in the past with being unable to remove my gun from the zerk but through the many posts on that topic here on TBN, I am on the road to being able to do that without breaking things. Part of that solution was learning to adjust the end of the gun by twisting the knurled portion.

BUT when I greased my FEL recently, 4 (out of 16) fittings wouldn't hold the gun. If it was vertical and the gun underneath, the end would just slide off the fitting. In the other cases, when I squeezed the trigger, the grease would push the gun off the fitting and just put grease all over the outside of the fitting. Trying to hold the gun onto the fitting didn't work either as the pressure of the grease just squeezed out around the fitting instead of into it and when I let go the gun just fell off the zerk. I tried it with having the knurled portion of the gun adjusted to the max (in each direction) but it didn't seem to make any difference - it still just slipped off.

I will add that my tractor is new and this was only the second greasing - I didn't have this problem the first time.

Is my gun worn out? Are those fittings worn out? Do I just need more practice?

Help!

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #2  
either the zerk fitting is clogged or your full up

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #3  
If tightening the knurled portion of the gun didn't keep it on, and it was all the way on before you tightened it, then I'd say the grease gun fitting is work out; never heard of a zerk being worn out, although as Murphy said, if it's clogged, that might account for the problem.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #4  
Try this:

Put the grease gun onto the zerk fitting.
Turn the knurled part until it won't let go of the zerk.
Squeeze the gun.
Readjust the knurled end to release the gun.

On my L3240 there seem to be slightly different sized zerks.
Adjusting the knurled bit to fit one doesn't guarantee that it will fit the next one.

If you can get it on the zerk and lock it on, but the grease still won't go in (lever of gun will be very hard to squeeze) then you have a blockage in the tractor end of the grease circuit. May need one of these tools:

Rejuvenate Stuck Grease Fittings And Joints | Toolmonger

-Jim

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #5  
if it's on a pin joint.. exercise the joint.

otherwise if it is a removeable zerk.. remove it and see if a new zerk helps.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #6  
I have fittings that I raise the loader then grease

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #7  
if it's on a pin joint.. exercise the joint.

otherwise if it is a removeable zerk.. remove it and see if a new zerk helps.

Or remove. The zerk and using you grease gun see if you can clean it. Then you'll know if its the zerk or gun or something else

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #8  
Tighten the end of the grease gun connection. If not loose it has to be sloppy from wear. My guess is the end of the grease gun connection just needs to be tightened.

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk?
Thanks for the suggestions. I will retry tightening the end of the gun. I don't think the zero is blocked as the gun won't lock onto it, with gravity or a light pull it just slides off.

If tightening the end doesn't work, I'll buy a new end (if that's even possible in today's disposable society, I might need a new gun). I didn't know the ends could wear out and the gun isn't very old - but it was cheap!

/ Why won't my grease gun hold onto the zerk? #10  
Cheap gun = cheap end. Replacement ends are available. I might add, that on my new tractor, several of the zerks were loose. I found this out when one of them broke off because it wasn't threaded snug. Something to check. Good luck.