Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #1  

Zig

Tractor
John Deere 3038e
Hello all,

I am getting ready to change the oil for the first time on my JD 3038e and wanted to know if any of you recommend an oil and or filter alternative for this machine. I do not have a dealer here in town and if possible want to save a few bucks.
Any help is appreciated.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #2  
It should be a Yanmar 3TNV84T engine, looks like a Napa 1064 Oil Filter matches up.

You should check your tractor manual, but you probably want an oil that meets CF-4 or higher. You're more likely to find it on 15W-40 oils. My Yanmar manual specifies 10W-30, but my dealer only stocks and gave me 15W-40, So I would think either weight should be OK.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e
Thanks for the input Katahdin. I want to get this done this weekend and this helps me get started.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #4  
I also have a 3038e approaching 50 hours, so I did some research on hydraulic oils that meet John Deere specs (J20C or J20D; the D is for really low tmeperature ops). It is unlikely that Deere has a refinery for the oil they sell, so I looked around the internet for companies that produce a wide variety of oil products. Warren Oil Co. is a major producer for a huge number of brands and types of lubricants. One of the brands they own is Coastal, and I found that Coastal Multi-Trac Tractor Fluid meets the Deere's specs for J20A/B/C. Now we are getting close. Turns out that our local AutoZone store has that fluid in 5-gallon pails. It's even green; the pail, not the oil. $45.99.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #5  
The Sams Club, Tractor Supply, and NAPA here also carry J20-spec fluids, the Mystik JT-5 stuff is supposed to be pretty good, but more expensive.

FYI, here's a picture of the OEM Yanmar hydro fluid buckets my dealer gave me for my free 50hr change, its J20A and the color is red.

J20A.jpg

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #6  
I also have a 3038e that just hit 50 hours. My dealer gave me oil/filter for the first change... But I'll be looking for oils later. Good information. Thanks.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #7  
My dealer is a good 45 minutes away from the house. For five gallon buckets, I drive to the store which is once every years or so which allows me to buy stuff I did not realize I needed or wanted until I am at the dealer. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I try to buy a good number of fuel and oil filters to keep in stock in the barn just in case I need them. For filters and similar parts, I send an email to the dealer, and they mail me the order which saves me quite a bit of time. I have given up buying oil and fuel filters from my truck at the local parts places because they are most often out of stock. :confused3: The JD prices for the filters for my Ford truck is cheaper than what I can buy locally. Go Figure. Since my dealer started carrying Stihl, I buy chain saw consumables from JD as well.

Later,
Dan

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #8  
Hello all,

I am getting ready to change the oil for the first time on my JD 3038e and wanted to know if any of you recommend an oil and or filter alternative for this machine. I do not have a dealer here in town and if possible want to save a few bucks.
Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to TBN...just curious, if you don't have a dealer in town where did you buy the tractor?? May I give you some advice....on a brand new tractor, why are you so concerned about saving a few bucks? JD oil and oil filters may be more costly than some off-brands, but you get what you pay for. I recommend you use their oils and filters at least until your warranty period is over.

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #9  
How many thousands of dollars are you saving per year by using minimum or below spec oil and filters? Have you ever heard tell of counterfeit oil and filters inside boxes with brand name labels? Most often sold at Bubba's discount parts shop?

/ Alternative Oil and filter for my JD 3038e #10  
I thought these ran JD break in oil for the first 100 hours? I agree, stay OEM with the filters and oil. Your dealer can ship it to you. Another plus is supporting the local economy rather that supporting chinamart and the like.

The only time I run OEM oil is if I cant make it to TSC to get T5 10W30.

Last edited: