Tractor
    ford 2600

Default oil loss issue ???????????

Guys, I have kinda been a "Creeper" on this site for a good while, and i really appreciate the way all of you step up and try to help each other as opposed to trashing a guy for even asking a question, (my post could very well change that today LOL).
    I have a 80's Ford 2600 diesel tractor that is loosing a ton of oil when its running, it does not smoke, knock, or rattle. It starts easy with no temp probs. I am kinda stumped, i am curious to know if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks
    "lost but makin good time"

Tractor
    mitsubshi d2050fd

Default Re: oil loss issue ???????????

Well I would start by checking these things first. Look in radiator to be sure no oil is getting in the cooling system. Possibly the rear main is leaking it into the trans case. Check trans oil level and see if it is high. Even though it is not smoking it may still be burning it. Have to take a compression test cold and then hot. This will at least give you a few things to look at. Hope you find it. Keep us posted as to what you do and if you find where it is going...

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by speedyspider2050 View Post
    Well I would start by checking these things first. Look in radiator to be sure no oil is getting in the cooling system. Possibly the rear main is leaking it into the trans case. Check trans oil level and see if it is high. Even though it is not smoking it may still be burning it. Have to take a compression test cold and then hot. This will at least give you a few things to look at. Hope you find it. Keep us posted as to what you do and if you find where it is going...
    Actually, if the rear main is leaking, it should go into the bell housing and run out the drain hole in the bottom of it. I don't think the engine oil can enter the transmission.

This thread should have been in 'parts and repairs' though.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Post your question in the Ford forum and hopefully Sound Guy will see it. He is the defacto expert on these tractors. And Welcome to TBN.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    mitsubshi d2050fd

Don87 Thanks for clarifying the trans and bell housing. Wasn't sure if it was separated by that. Just trying to give him some things to check out. I am not a ford tractor expert. Hope he finds one here to solve his oil issue....
    Last edited by speedyspider2050; 02-02-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: mispelled a word.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

My guess is you are burning it. Compression check is necessary

Chris

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    TYM T451,bolens G214.John Deere 440CID,Shaver sc25 stunpbuster,woods750 backhoe,wallenstien splitter,woods bb60 mower,woods 60"tiller,countryline tiller,99 international 4700 car carrier

You did not say wheather it was leaking out onto the ground or not