Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    mitsubshi d2050fd

Default Re: Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.

Goose... The prices I quoted were for people that take their rigs in and get the oil changed. Not prices for do it your selfers. 80% of people take their auto's in to a shop for an oil change. But your statement of......

"I don't run synthetic fuel so why bother with synthetic oil? " tells me you are cheap and probably buy bargain oil for your rigs....

Like I said in the beginning of my post. "JUST MY OPINION ON OIL" I am not trying to bash any oil's on the market. Just saying what my preference is and what I have seen tearing engines down that run the 2 different types of oils. It is just my opinion as a mechanic. So people can buy what they want.

Curley Dave... I don't know about the Mobil 1 EP. If I were to run 15.000 miles between oil changes I would take oil samples at 5000 mile intervals and have it tested for molecular break down. Can't say one way or the other as to if it's capable of 15.000 mile intervals. Hope this clears up my post and helps you out Curley... Have a nice night all..... Preston

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

I'm running Amsoil in most of my vehicles. I'm changing it once a year, which is anywhere from 6000 to 10,000 miles, depending on the vehicle. Amsoil says you can go 25,000 miles, but thats more than I'll ever run it. The way I look at it, even if it costs a little more, thats maybe one less time per vehicle I'm under the vehicle. We now have 5 vehicles I maintain so every little bit helps.

The exception is my sons 99 Aurora with a Northstar v8. It leaks and it leaked worse with Amsoil so I switched back to dino oil. It leaks less now.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Tractor
    mitsubshi d2050fd

Dodge man ... I feel for you with the Aurora... I worked on those for a few years. They leak like a siv. Used to replace at least 6 pan gaskets a month on those when they came out. Have you tried the Lucas engine stop leak? got a few to quit leaking with that product. And Amsoil is a great oil.

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

OP, thanks for the perspective.

Yes, I figure the economics favor synthetic since I run it at the 6000 mile change interval.

I haven't been able to bring myself around to using synthetic in the truck however, which uses 15 quarts IDK about a longer interchange interval there since it only gets changed about once a year with conventional Rotella.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

When I bought my Chevy truck, the salesman told me to read the manual and follow it for oil changes. It has on board computer like most Chevy products since 2003 for sure and the computer is calibrated for DINO oil use. It usually takes about 7000-7500 miles to trip the computer to 0 miles before oil change. Since I rarely go that many miles in a year between our two vehicles, it is basically a yearly change which keeps in mind with the GM engineers. I started using synthetic a couple years ago and feel confident that I could extend the time line and mileage if I wanted without any harm to my engines. I changed my oil in 2011 in July and then made a trip to Riverside Wyoming and back then it got used occasionally for the rest of the year, then I was mostly away for first 6 months of 2012 and my truck got little use. I didn't change the oil till Oct. 2012 (15 months) and it was still as clear as the old Exxon dino oil when it is in the bottle. I did exceed the time but not nearly the mileage per the computer. Since it sat in a closed shop all the time, I don't think it is subject to condensation like outside stored vehicles.
    I think the old 3000 mile oil change was just a gimmick for shops to increase their work and thus profits. Ford cars as early as 1965 (first one I remember) had 6000 miles recommended oil changes as did my 1970 Torino and my 1974 Mercury Grand Marquis. NOW they are 7500 and with lots better oils today than 40 years ago and folks are still going to JiffyLube and other places including car dealer shops every 3000 miles and throwing away perfectly good oil.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Just don't run a motor up to high miles on dino and then swap to synthetic, I know some motors come apart when that is done.

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

In the old days, engines didn't last nearly as long as they do today. Better engines and better oils. Note that oils that met specs 30 years ago do not meet modern specs.

I do detest the oil change locations that slap on the 3000 mile sticker no matter what the car manufacture recommends! You are right, it's a money making rip off in most cases.

Note, on some cars, manufacturer's recommendation is for synthetic only. Corvettes come to mind but I know there are others.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615L

mobil 1 5w 20 ep oil change by me every 10k using premium fram filter rated for 10k. in my gas powered 2011 f250.

Tractor
    Kubota L 5240 John Deere 550 Gator Toro 60 in zero turn Toro 44 in walk behind

A while back had a 1983 BMW 5 series my dad had. The computer on the car would tell you when to change the oil and it was not recommended by BMW at the time to run synthetic . Oil change light would go off between 2800 and 3500 miles. The car had about 100000 miles on it when corp. BMW said synthetic was ok and switched to amsoil. Computer on car would now go off between 6500 and 8200 miles. When car got up to about it started using water dealer tore into motor and found part that was defective which BMW warranted. Pictures were taken and sent to Germany to show the lack of wear and how clean the internal parts were. Have been using synthetic for years and will continue to do so. 2001 dodge 2500 had two oil filters with amsoil changed one filter at 10000 miles oil and both filters and oil at 50000 mile intervals. Oil was analyzed at each 10000 mile interval. Sold truck with 210000 miles and it is still going strong with over 300000 on it

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

Quote Originally Posted by speedyspider2050 View Post
    Dodge man ... I feel for you with the Aurora... I worked on those for a few years. They leak like a siv. Used to replace at least 6 pan gaskets a month on those when they came out. Have you tried the Lucas engine stop leak? got a few to quit leaking with that product. And Amsoil is a great oil.
    The Aurora only leaks maybe 2 to 3 quarts between oil changes, so I probably won't mess with it unless it gets a lot worse. I haven't really figured out where is leaking at for sure, you can smell the oil on the exhaust after its been run. It could just be valve cover gaskets. I've tightned up everything I can get a wrench on but it didn't help much. Its my sons first car, he is eighteen now, and so far the only thing I've done to it beyond brakes is a water pump.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast