Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #31  
Years ago my dad and his friend each bought John Deere 624 snowblowers, same day, same dealer. The friend put synthetic from day one, dad didn't, two years later the friends motor blew, dads is still running strong today. Just goes to say that oil, synthetic or not, is not the only determining factor on longevity, just one of many I'm sure.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #32  
Yer friend's was prolly built at 4PM on Friday afternoon.LOL! Seriously......I changed Dad's Taurus over to Mobil I synthetic and was surprised it used a qt in the first 4000 mi......SO I changed it to Castrol same weight and it never used oil again. I am just not sold on the Mobil I .I use their synthetic t-ranny fuel though. don-ohio :)^)

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #33  
Just don't run a motor up to high miles on dino and then swap to synthetic, I know some motors come apart when that is done.

What "comes apart"?

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #34  
My personal opinion here, but it won't hurt a thing to switch to syn. oil on a car that has high miles and been run on dino oil. The only drawback would be the oil is thinner when cold and if you have leaks, they will probably get worse.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #35  
OK, now how about the Mobil 1 EP oil?

They claim 15,000 change intervals. As soon as any rig I own goes out of warranty, I switch to Mobil 1 EP and increase the oil change interval to 15,000 miles. Am I OK, or am I wearing something out?

UOA will let you know.Your driving habits among other things will determine when you need to change. Not what the oil manfacture prints on the bottle

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #36  
Keep in mind thatwith synthetic oil all the molecules are exactly the same size as with dino they are all different sizes.So if you have a leak with dino oil you will have one **** of a leak with synthetic

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #37  
Markcuda said:
The 3000 miles oil change intervals are a scam/scare tactic.

Thumbs up!!!

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #38  
Yes,NOW it is a waste.......but years ago,NO.....it was true and necessary for many different reasons. don-ohio :)^)

Quote:The 3000 miles oil change intervals are a scam/scare tactic.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #40  
The 3000 miles oil change intervals are a scam/scare tactic.

Maybe / maybe not...You'll never know for sure without a UOA