Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Default Re: Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.

I gathered from reading some posts that some confused used oil analysis (UOA) with used oil monitor or oil life monitor. Definately different things. I use UOA regularly on my commercial truck engines. Has very little to do with extending oil drains to fantastic levels, though I do exceed the OEM recommended drains by 30%. It has more to do with monitoring what is going on inside the engine. Lead, Iron, copper, tin, chromium, silicon, sodium, potassium, etc levels all have a meaning in that oil sample. And based on patterns that develop over multiple oil samples, you can determine when something doesn't seem right and needs checked. A lot of semi truck owners swear by a 10,000 mile oil change interval, even though no OEM has a standard recomendation of less than 15,000 miles, and I have never changed oil less than 20,000 miles in my commercial diesels since the early 1990's. And every one of my diesels has gotten over 1 million miles before ever being opened up for a major repair. UOA's are solid evidence in any warranty dispute. Be it within or outside the OEM recommendations.

With modern CJ-4 HDEO, the gap between performance of regular vs synthetic oils got closer. Chevron has done a lot of testing recently showing their dino 400LE 15w40 is good for up to 70,000 mile oil changes on class 8 truck engines. Unless you have a real need for a synthetic, most folks really are just spending more than they need to for solid protection of their engine. I will concede that some engines "prefer" a particular brand over another. It is the same little mystery as to why a particular .22 rifle does better with a particular brand of .22 ammo while a friends .22 rifle does better on another brand. Both brands are good, but for some reason, the rifles do not like the same brand. Engines seem to have similar quirks nowadays. One engine does great on Rotella while another gets mediocre results with it. That second engine seems to prefer Chevron Delo or Mobil Delvac. Just the slight changes in oil additive compositions can affect how an engine relates to that brand of oil. Just one of life's little mysteries.

Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

I gathered from reading some posts that some confused used oil analysis (UOA) with used oil monitor or oil life monitor. Definately different things.

Yup. Thanks.
    The monitor is clearly not as smart or informative as a UOA.
    Frankly curious as to how smart they are, and how the progression of tech
    has advanced with them.
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long solid bucket grapple, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    TYM T451,bolens G214.John Deere 440CID,Shaver sc25 stunpbuster,woods750 backhoe,wallenstien splitter,woods bb60 mower,woods 60"tiller,countryline tiller,99 international 4700 car carrier

Amsoil has a so called warrantee.If you first run their brand engine cleaner thru your engine.Then change to their synthetic oil(very pricy)and use their filter.Change the filter every 3000 miles and top off the oil(never change the oil)if you ever have a oil related failure they will repair or replace your engine.I for one am not a big fan of most companies so called warrantee policy as its almost never a problem related to their product.But anyways this is what the local amsoil guy told me.I do understand that synthetic oil does not break down but like mentioned in this thread your oil does act kinda like a sponge for any contaminates.As far as amsoil's engine cleaner I think thats just another way of making a few more bucks.You can go back and forth with synthetic os dino anytime you want contrary to what most folks think.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out synthetic blend is synthetic and dino mixed.With all that said i still believe synthetic is the way to go.If its good enough for the space shuttle its good enough to me.I have done a lot of research on it before I started using it

Nothing against synthetics. In many applications they are what is needed. I will always use synthetics in my transmission and drive axles. Both due to the better qualities it offers and the 50% higher warranty by the OEM by using synthetics in their components (750,000 mile warranty vs 500,000 mile warranty). But most folks really have no real need for synthetics in every component of everything they run. Many folks will never wear out a conventional oil between oil changes. If anything, they may have higher levels of water contamination due to condensation from not running the engine long enough or often enough. That will fail a synthetic just as much as a conventional oil. And using the space shuttle for any analogy is spurious at best. Challenger blew up and Columbia burned up on re-entry. Not due to any oil related problem, but not a very good comparison either. I know of no one who uses their space shuttle to farm, go to the local hardware store, or go to church on Sunday. That is falling for the old line of "if one thing is good, then the other thing must be better" marketing ploy. And this also doesn't mean much if you are only using a few quarts a year. But some of us go thru several drums of oil a year and cost vs performance is more critical. And Synthetics in engines don't offer the bang for the buck they charge for it except in rare circumstances of environmental conditions or application.

They have a place, indeed. But like most everything, they are a special application type of product that most folks do not need. But it gives them warm fuzzies to spend the extra money and "feel" better. Using the Space shuttle logic you did, then everyone should only buy a 1 ton pickup with roll over bars installed for basic transportation. After all, a vehicle like that provides better occupant protection than a Prius. Right? I too have done a lot of research into the synthetic vs convential debate, and also have well over 4 million miles actual experience in testing various oil brands with hundreds of used oil analysis samples (all at my cost) from the Dalton haul road to the Rio Grande. Except in special applications, there is no real performance edge of a synthetic over a conventional in the typical engine. Just more cost. While I do not tear apart engines for a living to inspect things on a whim, I do shoulder the cost of engines that cost more than the typical complete automobile most folks buy. It is imperative that I get the solid results at the best operating cost.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 02-07-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    TYM T451,bolens G214.John Deere 440CID,Shaver sc25 stunpbuster,woods750 backhoe,wallenstien splitter,woods bb60 mower,woods 60"tiller,countryline tiller,99 international 4700 car carrier

oops didn't know there was a rocket scientist on board

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Quote Originally Posted by carmedic310 View Post
    oops didn't know there was a rocket scientist on board
    Where did that come from?

Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

I know of no one who uses their space shuttle to farm,

from there?....
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long solid bucket grapple, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Very well, thought out reply. Thanks for the insight.
    Kubota L3400 HST with FEL, R1 Tires, 4x4
    Ford 1910 Gear tractor
    Ford Box Blade
    Land-Pride spreader
    Armstrong Ag Disc
    Landpride Clamp on Forks

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    Very well, thought out reply. Thanks for the insight.
    This topic is nothing new. Been here since 02 and many posters (gee dargo, cowboydoc, gsxr1100, soundguy etc) come and go (me too). This posted statement "50% higher warranty by the OEM by using synthetics " is nothing new...And will the sheep buy it?

I was an Amsoil dealer for years (15+) and stopped and there is no published spec's that say engines will last longer etc...use what you want and XX intervals and be fine. I still use cheap oil and Lc20 and comes out mint (better than Amsoil at <50 less cost)...

If you are going to post a sales pitch, post real data. I have posted my UOA's with and without certain items (same engine/car etc) years ago and good info. I almost give up on thie forum (some will be happy). Why, too many issues with the owner, users etc. Makes you wonder on why.

YMMV
    "In God we trust; all others must bring data"
    -Edwards Deming

Tractor
    '73 MF135 & Montana 4540

I love oil threads for the entertainment as much as for the information... and, more often than not, misinformation. They are REALLY entertaining on some of the motorcycle forums.

Here's my nickels worth on a couple of items...
    1. Changing to synthetic on a high mileage engine won't make it "come apart". What it may do is cause oil leaks. That's because the synthetic will start dissolving and cleaning all of the buildup and varnish and if you happen to have a hard or nicked seal that is only keeping oil in because it's covered in "gunk" then it will start leaking.

2. Synthetic "can" increase your fuel mileage. I have an '04 Ram 1-ton with the Cummins. I've kept a record of every gallon of fuel that's gone through that engine along with all maintenance. I used to use 15w40 Rotella but wanted to change over to synthetic for it's better qualities. I found that 5w40 Rotella Synthetic wasn't that much more per gallon so I started using it. On the first tank full of fuel after changing to the 5w40 my mileage went up although nothing else changed as far as where and how I drove. I called it a fluke at that point but on the next tank full I made a straight through trip to Houston and back. And every tank full since has shown the same increase of right at 11%. I'm not one to expect a mileage increase from oil or additives... but I'll take it!
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Ben Franklin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1973 MF135 Perkins Gas and 2006 Montana 4540 w/FEL

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast