Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #1  

speedyspider2050

Bronze Member
Tractor
mitsubshi d2050fd
I have read many threads with people asking the ? Which oil type to use. I have been turning wrenches for a living for 37yrs. So hear is my personal experience with both oils. I rebuild approximately 3 to 5 engines a year. The engines I rebuild that run strictly Dino oil have what we call coking(Varnish build up) all throughout the engine, Heads, block and crank. I have yet to rebuild an engine due to oil failure. But the engines I rebuild that have run synthetic oil are very clean and no coking(varnish buildup) in any of the components. I rebuild both gas and diesel engines so this applies to both. I personally have rebuilt my own engines and run only synthetic in them. My diesel suburban and Mitsu D2050FD both get Mobil 1 5w-40 full synthetic turbo diesel oil. My other two gas engines run Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic oil. I also use Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer in all my engines as well. So from a mechanics stand point synthetic oils do have the advantage of keeping your engine internals cleaner than conventional dino oils. Hope this helps a few people make the decision to run the oil they want. As for the cost difference here is the basic math. Just a few figures thrown out here. Basic oil change with dino oil $30.00 to $40.00. Change every 3000 miles. so for 6000 miles next oil change you spend another $30.00 to $40.00 . Ok synthetic oil change runs roughly $45.00 to $55.00 and you change it every 6000 to 7500 miles depending on the driving conditions. So do the math. Synthetic is less money and in my opinion better for the engine. I personally have my oil analyzed and determine from that when to change my oil. But i never run more than 7500 miles before a change. As for my tractor I change it every 125hrs. Just my thought and experience with the two different oils. Not saying that dino oil is bad. Just saying that synthetic keeps it cleaner longer and runs longer intervals before needing to be changed.

Preston Bowman: Certified Master Tech GM, Ford,Chrysler:cool2:

Last edited:
   / Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #2  
Agreed...I run Mobile1 in all of my stuff now and never had a problem...Used to use Castrol GTX dino and that never caused me any issues either...General mainentance was always maintained.

Tore down the 396 in my Chevelle once and it was spotless using the Castrol...Although the next rebuild will get synthetic going forward...Just seems like better stuff to me.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #3  
My wife ran her 2003 Neon to 375,000 miles with out a dino oil break down.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #4  
I like synthetic, Mobile 1. Have used it for years. In tractor too...the diesel rated oil.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #5  
I haven't changed oil at 3000 miles in many years, never had oil related engine problems.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #6  
The 3000 miles oil change intervals are a scam/scare tactic.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #7  
I change at 5000mi on everything I own. Full Synthetic in truck, car, bikes, sleds, mower...

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #8  
OK, now how about the Mobil 1 EP oil?

They claim 15,000 change intervals. As soon as any rig I own goes out of warranty, I switch to Mobil 1 EP and increase the oil change interval to 15,000 miles. Am I OK, or am I wearing something out?

BTW, the EP oil is $3-4 per gallon more than the regular Mobil 1 at Wally World, so the economics are impressive.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #9  
I don't run synthetic fuel so why bother with synthetic oil?

BTW oil for an avg. truck doesn't cost $30-40.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #10  
'09 gmc sierra 1500.....5.3 liter v-8.....mobil 1 5w-30 costs $30 for an oil change