Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    mitsubshi d2050fd

Default Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.

I have read many threads with people asking the ? Which oil type to use. I have been turning wrenches for a living for 37yrs. So hear is my personal experience with both oils. I rebuild approximately 3 to 5 engines a year. The engines I rebuild that run strictly Dino oil have what we call coking(Varnish build up) all throughout the engine, Heads, block and crank. I have yet to rebuild an engine due to oil failure. But the engines I rebuild that have run synthetic oil are very clean and no coking(varnish buildup) in any of the components. I rebuild both gas and diesel engines so this applies to both. I personally have rebuilt my own engines and run only synthetic in them. My diesel suburban and Mitsu D2050FD both get Mobil 1 5w-40 full synthetic turbo diesel oil. My other two gas engines run Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic oil. I also use Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer in all my engines as well. So from a mechanics stand point synthetic oils do have the advantage of keeping your engine internals cleaner than conventional dino oils. Hope this helps a few people make the decision to run the oil they want. As for the cost difference here is the basic math. Just a few figures thrown out here. Basic oil change with dino oil $30.00 to $40.00. Change every 3000 miles. so for 6000 miles next oil change you spend another $30.00 to $40.00 . Ok synthetic oil change runs roughly $45.00 to $55.00 and you change it every 6000 to 7500 miles depending on the driving conditions. So do the math. Synthetic is less money and in my opinion better for the engine. I personally have my oil analyzed and determine from that when to change my oil. But i never run more than 7500 miles before a change. As for my tractor I change it every 125hrs. Just my thought and experience with the two different oils. Not saying that dino oil is bad. Just saying that synthetic keeps it cleaner longer and runs longer intervals before needing to be changed.

Preston Bowman: Certified Master Tech GM, Ford,Chrysler
    Last edited by speedyspider2050; 02-02-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Default Re: Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.

Agreed...I run Mobile1 in all of my stuff now and never had a problem...Used to use Castrol GTX dino and that never caused me any issues either...General mainentance was always maintained.

Tore down the 396 in my Chevelle once and it was spotless using the Castrol...Although the next rebuild will get synthetic going forward...Just seems like better stuff to me.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    2014 John Deere X534

My wife ran her 2003 Neon to 375,000 miles with out a dino oil break down.
    Hours=(15)-2014 X534,bought May 29th,2 spinner knobs,brush guard,convert-a-ball front and rear,mulch kit,Gator blades,J/D 10P cart,4 suitcase weights,Brinly 24x36 poly lawn roller.Markcuda.com
    "if you like your healthcare,you can keep it"
    "if you like your doctor,you can keep them"

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

I like synthetic, Mobile 1. Have used it for years. In tractor too...the diesel rated oil.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

I haven't changed oil at 3000 miles in many years, never had oil related engine problems.

Tractor
    2014 John Deere X534

The 3000 miles oil change intervals are a scam/scare tactic.
    Hours=(15)-2014 X534,bought May 29th,2 spinner knobs,brush guard,convert-a-ball front and rear,mulch kit,Gator blades,J/D 10P cart,4 suitcase weights,Brinly 24x36 poly lawn roller.Markcuda.com
    "if you like your healthcare,you can keep it"
    "if you like your doctor,you can keep them"

Tractor
    MF 1529L

I change at 5000mi on everything I own. Full Synthetic in truck, car, bikes, sleds, mower...

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

OK, now how about the Mobil 1 EP oil?

They claim 15,000 change intervals. As soon as any rig I own goes out of warranty, I switch to Mobil 1 EP and increase the oil change interval to 15,000 miles. Am I OK, or am I wearing something out?

BTW, the EP oil is $3-4 per gallon more than the regular Mobil 1 at Wally World, so the economics are impressive.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

I don't run synthetic fuel so why bother with synthetic oil?

BTW oil for an avg. truck doesn't cost $30-40.
    Kubota L3400 HST with FEL, R1 Tires, 4x4
    Ford 1910 Gear tractor
    Ford Box Blade
    Land-Pride spreader
    Armstrong Ag Disc
    Landpride Clamp on Forks

Tractor
    Kubota B2630, '53 Farmall Super H, '47 Farmall AI, '44 Farmall A

'09 gmc sierra 1500.....5.3 liter v-8.....mobil 1 5w-30 costs $30 for an oil change

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast