F350 running problems

/ F350 running problems #1  

Paul1952

Don't know if this is the right thread to post on. I have a '02 F350 power stroke that is giving me fits. Have not had any problems until recently. It will run fine at times, and then starts just shutting down on the side of the highway. I have changed out the fuel filter. This has not done any good. You can feel it starting to get sluggish, sometimes it will catch back up and run ok, but other times it will shut down on you. The last few times, I have gotten it back home after letting it sit for awhile, but really need some ideas on where to start looking for the problem. Any ideas appreciated. I have noticed that the engine light will come on sometimes, but always. Thanks.

/ F350 running problems #2  
Paul... First thing I would do is pull the code,or codes, from the PCM(Power Control Module). If u don't have a code reader Autozone will usually pull ur codes for free. That will give u a starting point . It could be a number of things causing this issue. Could be a bad IDM(Injector Drive Module) ,Fuel pump having intermittent pressure supply problem. Bad Crank position sensor,,, See what I mean by U need to pull codes to have a starting point. U can also buy a code reader for around $30.00 to $50.00 and then u have one. Your DLC(Diagnostic Link Connector) is OBD2 and located under the dash on the drivers side. Hope this helps u get started finding your trucks issue....Preston

/ F350 running problems #3  
Either your cam sensor has gone bad, or the fuel pump down by the tank is going bad. If the cam sensor, you will get a code stating so if you have a tech run diagnostics. The fuel pump may, or may not give off a code. On my '86, it took a couple of months and more than a few trips to the ford service department before we figured out it was the fuel pump causing the problems. On my '01, I thought it was bad fuel or water causing the problem. Luckily,I took it into the service department before the warranty ran out and it covered the cam sensor replacement. I do believe you can replace the cam sensor yourself. It has been awhile, but I think it is just a module on the engine that you can unplug and swap out. In both instances the truck would shut off while driving down the road, similar to what you are experiencing.

Hawk

/ F350 running problems #4  
I would throw a $30 cam pos sensor on it first. 5 minutes and a 10mm wrench. Its been a know failure item for the 7.3. Most guys around here keep one in the glove box.

If thats not it the fuel pump is suspect

Chris

/ F350 running problems
tried the code reader, would not pull up anything. shouldn't it read something?

/ F350 running problems #6  
No codes came up at all-water, low fuel pressure, or anything?

When my cam sensor went, the truck didn't lose power, but it would hesitate and 'cough'. Then it would outright shutoff-hot/cold, idle/cruising didn' matter. After letting it sit awhile, I could then drive a while until it started happening again.

My truck with the bad fuel pump had symptoms similiar to yours. Does the truck smoke at all-blue, white, or thick black?

It would be worthwhile checking all the hoses and fittings on the intercooler. If you see any evidence of oil around the fittings, check the clamps for tightness and the hoses for wear. One of your intake hoses could be collapsing.

Still sounds like a cam sensor or fuel pump gone bad however.
Good luck.

Hawk

/ F350 running problems #7  
tried the code reader, would not pull up anything. shouldn't it read something?

Most of the lower priced code readers won't work on the Power Strokes of our vintage. Needs to be a big dollar one like Snap-on or Autoenginuity.

/ F350 running problems
No codes came up at all-water, low fuel pressure, or anything?

When my cam sensor went, the truck didn't lose power, but it would hesitate and 'cough'. Then it would outright shutoff-hot/cold, idle/cruising didn' matter. After letting it sit awhile, I could then drive a while until it started happening again.

My truck with the bad fuel pump had symptoms similiar to yours. Does the truck smoke at all-blue, white, or thick black?

It would be worthwhile checking all the hoses and fittings on the intercooler. If you see any evidence of oil around the fittings, check the clamps for tightness and the hoses for wear. One of your intake hoses could be collapsing.

Still sounds like a cam sensor or fuel pump gone bad however.
Good luck.

Hawk

It doesn't smoke at all. It starts missing, won't take the diesel, if you don't stop, it will shut off. After sitting a little while, I can finally get it home. I'm going to check on the cam sensor.

/ F350 running problems #9  
It doesn't smoke at all. It starts missing, won't take the diesel, if you don't stop, it will shut off. After sitting a little while, I can finally get it home. I'm going to check on the cam sensor.

Probably not the cam position sensor. Usually when they failed you were stuck on the side of the road until it was replaced. There was a factory recall released the end of 07 on the sensor for most 1997 - 2003 PSD's. If it hasn't been replaced the dealer will do it for free.

Sounds more like a fuel problem to me. Did this start right after filling up with fuel? Maybe the screen in the tank, or fuel filter is plugging up. I had that happen to a 68 Cougar I had. Would sputter and die on the highway, but it ran fine around town. After it died, just let it sit for a few minutes and it would fire right back up.

/ F350 running problems #10  
I was having the same problem with my international 4700 with 7.3 turned out to be the cam sensor 23.00 and easy to get at on mine anyway