Gas storage

/ Gas storage #1  

NCMau

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 202/Ford 8N
I have a gas 25-30 gal gas caddy. I was wondering how long can I safely store a 10% ethanol mix gas?

/ Gas storage #2  
Safely storing and how long it lasts are two different things. I have a metal 30 gal gas caddy that I keep for an emergency generator. I use StaBil which says it good for two years but I don't think many agree with that. I think a year tops is the consensus on here from what I have read. I rotate the fuel in the Spring and again just before winer hits. It is easy to do with the fuel caddy. I just run my truck and wife's truck low and fill them up then refill the caddy. This systems works for me. That way the gas is never more then 6-7 months old. I spend the extra money and put 89 octane in caddy. I think that helps from what I have read on fuel breakdown.

As for safely storing fuel there are plenty of threads on that here.

Good luck.

The caddy is nice to have. Pouring out if the newer 5 gallon cans is for the birds.

/ Gas storage #3  
You've got to keep ethanol laced gas away from the atmosphere(you can only limit it). If free air gets to ethanol it drags the moisture from the air into the fuel.This takes time,but hey,you're talking long term storage.
I'm sure STA-BIL has a product that will help,but a can that has a pressure release cap works better than a common vented one. don-ohio :)^)

/ Gas storage #4  
If you are going to store it for an extended period it would serve you better to use ethanol-free fuel. Ethanol will bond with water along with other issues over time. It is also tough on small engines. There are a lot of places where you can purchase ethanol free fuel. Here is a link to a website that lists them by state and city Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada If you are going to be storing longer than 6 months it I suggest to purchase a higher octane fuel initially as it loses octane over time even with stabilizers.

/ Gas storage #5  
If you are like me and have no ethanol free fuel available for 150 miles use the Blue or Black Marine Grade StaBil. The red is garbage for ethanol fuels.

The Marine grade black is only $8 for enough to treat 100 gallons. Money well spent.

Chris

/ Gas storage #6  
If you are like me and have no ethanol free fuel available for 150 miles use the Blue or Black Marine Grade StaBil. The red is garbage for ethanol fuels.

The Marine grade black is only $8 for enough to treat 100 gallons. Money well spent.

Chris

Isn't Daleville in the Muncie area? If so, here is a station that has 87 octane ethanol-free unleaded. S 388 Reese Airport E Rd. IN GPS coordinates: N 40.15421 W 85.31664

/ Gas storage #7  
Isn't Daleville in the Muncie area? If so, here is a station that has 87 octane ethanol-free unleaded. S 388 Reese Airport E Rd. IN GPS coordinates: N 40.15421 W 85.31664

Yes, it is. I am a pilot and know Reece very well. They no longer have it. Went away about two years ago just like the supply at my marina. That list is not up to date always.

I actually run 100LL aviation blue fuel in all my 2 stroke stuff. Only use about 3 gallons per year. 4 stroke gets 89 E10 with Marine Grade StaBil.

Chris

/ Gas storage #8  
Bummer, I go to Jeffersonville, IN for mine. Makowski Oil has 87, 91, and 93 octane available, also the blue 96 octane racing fuel. I have a Rotax 912S on my 701 and use the 93 octane in it. 100LL is really tough on the rings if used regularly. Occasionally, I use it on cross country flights, but use a lead scavenging additive when I do. I use a 55 gallon portable tank for it and another for off road diesel here on this farm. I understand that at some point ethanol free unleaded will not be available at all. NASCAR uses some sort of 96 octane that is unleaded, and ethanol-free, but I have not been able to find it available to the general public. They have it at the Kentucky Speedway and it is furnished free of charge to the NASCAR teams, but they won't sell it to the public. I will change the listing on the pure gas site. Thanks.

/ Gas storage #9  
MARATHON is the most commonly ethanol-free gasoline. But that website can only be a generalization,as the stations are many times allowed to buy it at their discretion. The test for ethanol in fuel is really easy, so I'll pass it along,maybe post it up separately too?
(1) Get some gas in a clean ,empty gas can.
(2) Put whatever amount you want in it. Go home, get a clean,clear, dry glass container(quart canning jar is GREAT),and put a few ounces of water in the container.
(3) Set the container on the floor of the garage or level outside surface and mark the water's level with a black magic marker.
(4) Add maybe a pint of gasoline or more if container will hold it.
(5) If gas contains ethanol,you'll see the water level rise above the mark you made.The more it rises,the higher the ethanol content.
(6)BTW,this is a painstaking way of removing ethanol from gasoline,but you might also remove a fuel additive,so if you do it,add a touch of gas treatment to the final product. don-ohio :)^)

/ Gas storage
Safely storing and how long it lasts are two different things. I have a metal 30 gal gas caddy that I keep for an emergency generator. I use StaBil which says it good for two years but I don't think many agree with that. I think a year tops is the consensus on here from what I have read. I rotate the fuel in the Spring and again just before winer hits. It is easy to do with the fuel caddy. I just run my truck and wife's truck low and fill them up then refill the caddy. This systems works for me. That way the gas is never more then 6-7 months old. I spend the extra money and put 89 octane in caddy. I think that helps from what I have read on fuel breakdown.

As for safely storing fuel there are plenty of threads on that here.

Good luck.

The caddy is nice to have. Pouring out if the newer 5 gallon cans is for the birds.

Thanks. 25-30 gal usually last 3 months or so, little more in the winter, little less in the summer. So I guess it would be okay. Higher octaine is a good idea.