Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by NCMau View Post

Thanks. 25-30 gal usually last 3 months or so, little more in the winter, little less in the summer. So I guess it would be okay. Higher octaine is a good idea.
    That should be just fine. We are storing gas for a year or so.

Chris

Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

Default Re: Gas storage

Years ago,dunno about now,Marathon gas always had an additive to help it remain powerful during storage. I had an old English Ford Cortina GT that hadn't been started for 4 full years.
    So I finally sold it as a probable `non-runner'. Well,when the guy came to look at it, I put a set of jumper cables on it, and the Cortina started right up! What a surprise! don-ohio (:^)

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Do additives really remove water from fuel, or just disperse throughout the fuel so it can go through the combustion process?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

I'm sure NOT an additive expert,but a good thing some do is keep the water from freezing you out,stalling your machine. don-ohio (:^)
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkeyok View Post
    Do additives really remove water from fuel, or just disperse throughout the fuel so it can go through the combustion process?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Yup, that is part of what I was getting at.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkeyok View Post
    A small amount of alcohol will bind with water, and be carried through (to burn). With the high amounts of alcohol in gas now, depending on vehicle use/storage/fill practices, the water alcohol mix can stratify - saw some pretty rancid stuff drained out of a Uhaul truck recently.

Startron takes the approach (gas additive at least) to disperse the water into really tiny particles for combustion. Not my natural first choice, but I didn't get asked about this E## nonsense either !

A lot of people get it wrong, but if you can set up a gas engine for deliberate H2O injection successfully, then I guess a few really tiny drops won't hurt.

For the general market, they have to design an additive with the assumption that a mechanical water separator is not in place, esp. for gas.

With a mechanical water separator in place, then Stanadyne's strategy to de-emulsify (coagulate) water molecules in diesel makes sense to me.

I've been using Starton (gas addy, aka Smurf pee) for my small motor stuff, like it so far.

Rgds, D.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab

To the best of my knowledge all Shell stations in Ontario, Canada that have 'high test' have no ethanol in it. I run high test shell in all my gas powered stuff. Walk behind snow blower, 2 gennys, 2 lawn mowers and my Jeep.
    Unfortunately my boat I have to fill up at the marina, (it is too big for me to trailer with the Jeep), and that has 5% ethanol. In the boat I use Sea Foam gas treatment. It works good

Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

Looking4 new.......better do the ethanol test...... I know Shell is using it down here, so I doubt you're ethanol free up there.Could be,though,and the test will tell you fer sure. don-ohio (:^D

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by don45640 View Post
    Looking4 new.......better do the ethanol test...... I know Shell is using it down here, so I doubt you're ethanol free up there.Could be,though,and the test will tell you fer sure. don-ohio (:^D
    Costco's Hi Test in this part of Ontario (Canada) is stated to be ethanol free. Keeping my fingers crossed that our overlords don't "save" me from this evil fuel anytime soon.

Rgds, D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12