Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL!

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #1  

don45640

Gold Member
Tractor
918 allis-chalmers
MARATHON:cool2: is the most commonly ethanol-free gasoline. The test for ethanol in gasoline is really easy, so I'll pass it along.I'm sure this way is also RED GREEN approved.:confused2:Ha!
(1) Get some gas in a clean ,empty gas can.
(2) Put whatever amount you want in it. Go home, get a clean,clear, dry glass container(quart canning jar is GREAT),and put a few ounces of water in the container.
(3) Set the container on the floor of the garage or level outside surface and mark the water's level with a black magic marker.
(4) Add maybe a pint of gasoline or more if container will hold it.
(5) If gas contains ethanol,you'll see the water level rise above the mark you made.The more it rises,the higher the ethanol content.
(6)BTW,this is a painstaking way of removing ethanol from gasoline,but you might also remove a fuel additive,so if you do it,add a touch of gas treatment to the final product. don-ohio;)

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #2  
In Indiana all gas sold for on road use must contain at least 10% ethanol by law. Diesel must contain 2% bio. No reason to test here. It became law about 3 years ago.

Got to keep them farmers happy.

Chris

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #3  
That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing. We try to buy no enriched gasoline as much as possible. I don't really know of any farmers here that are happy about us burning our food.

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL!
Thanks! Didn't know that.......won't be buying gas in Indianapolis anymore when I go to visit my son and his in-laws.I'll make sure I fill up at Ohio border!LOL! don-ohio :thumbsup:
In Indiana all gas sold for on road use must contain at least 10% ethanol by law. Diesel must contain 2% bio. No reason to test here. It became law about 3 years ago.

Got to keep them farmers happy.

Chris

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #5  
Thanks for the test method Don!

That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing. We try to buy no enriched gasoline as much as possible. I don't really know of any farmers here that are happy about us burning our food.

I do. My cousin's husband and brother went from farming 300 acres and living in mobiles to purchasing and leasing over 5000 acres and they're both building new homes. They've also purchased well over $1M worth of equipment and several Peterbilt tractors, flatbeds and grain trailers to not only farm their acreage, but also take care of hauling duties for many farms and co-ops in the area.

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #6  
Stihl makes a nice little test tube like device for a reasonable cost that does the alcohol percentage test with about 3-4 oz fuel.
Obviously not enough to remove it from the fuel. I was reading where one guy did the describe technique then froze it and poured the water off. The higher the alcohol content the colder it has to get to freeze the alcohol laced water however.

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL!
Stihl makes a nice little test tube like device for a reasonable cost that does the alcohol percentage test with about 3-4 oz fuel.
Obviously not enough to remove it from the fuel. I was reading where one guy did the describe technique then froze it and poured the water off. The higher the alcohol content the colder it has to get to freeze the alcohol laced water however.

Right.......or you need more water to weaken the amounts of ethanol which leaves the gasoline,so it would freeze at a higher temp.
To DRancher: I don't blame or hold any ill feelings toward any person raising crops for ethanol production. We are all Americans and should have the freedom to decide whether or not to buy a product. THEREFORE I do condemn the law in Indiana that requires 10% ethanol. don-ohio :)^)

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #8  
Thanks for the test method Don!

I do. My cousin's husband and brother went from farming 300 acres and living in mobiles to purchasing and leasing over 5000 acres and they're both building new homes. They've also purchased well over $1M worth of equipment and several Peterbilt tractors, flatbeds and grain trailers to not only farm their acreage, but also take care of hauling duties for many farms and co-ops in the area.

Where about in MS are they farming? Sounds like they are some very busy guys, I hope they have a great year.

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #9  
Where about in MS are they farming? Sounds like they are some very busy guys, I hope they have a great year.

They're in Iowa and yes, they've been VERY busy. Happy too!

/ Poor Man's ethanol test method DON'T LAUGH,IT WORKS! LOL! #10  
MARATHON:cool2: is the most commonly ethanol-free gasoline. The test for ethanol in gasoline is really easy, so I'll pass it along.I'm sure this way is also RED GREEN approved.:confused2:Ha!
(1) Get some gas in a clean ,empty gas can.
(2) Put whatever amount you want in it. Go home, get a clean,clear, dry glass container(quart canning jar is GREAT),and put a few ounces of water in the container.
(3) Set the container on the floor of the garage or level outside surface and mark the water's level with a black magic marker.
(4) Add maybe a pint of gasoline or more if container will hold it.
(5) If gas contains ethanol,you'll see the water level rise above the mark you made.The more it rises,the higher the ethanol content.
(6)BTW,this is a painstaking way of removing ethanol from gasoline,but you might also remove a fuel additive,so if you do it,add a touch of gas treatment to the final product. don-ohio;)

Actually the water level will decrease. A percentage of the water will be absorbed by the gas/ethanol mix. As an example, at 60 degrees F, up to 3.8 teaspoons (0.633 OZ) of water can be absorbed by a blend of 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol before it will phase separate. 100% gas will only absorb .15 teaspoons of water. So even 100 % gas would cause the water level to decrease a small amount.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/rfg/waterphs.pdf