Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ?

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #1  

buickanddeere

Tractor
Deere, several
I wonder if GM has plans for Fiat in the future to stretch that 4 into an inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups and SUVs?
The engineering and testing is done and the tooling built .

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #2  
prior to multiport fuel injection i remember the gm 4.3 v6 tbi. i was thinking this was pretty close to the numbers for the cruze, so i looked it up: 165hp, 235ft-lbs torque. we're dealing with pretty similar numbers here, but the 4.3 has more than a 2:1 displacement ratio, and in most cases the old adage of "no replacement for displacement" falls true, but we're talking about a diesel here. i can't find torque graphs to compare, but i would think that the diesel would be putting out good torque at a pretty low rpm range. why not go with that exact motor in a small truck? i always thought the 4.3 was plenty for a small truck, and if that 2.0 would do be close, and provide in the 30's for mpg, i'd think it would be a hot seller. i know that numbers sell vehicles now, and not real world functionality, but i think that it would work. i hear that porsche cayenne diesels will do 30mpg or better, and that's a 3 liter or so isn't it? i say forget the last two cylinders and use it as is.

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #3  
That would be interesting, but they have the 4.5L Duramax ready to go.

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ?
I thought the 4.5 Duramax had been dropped?
It's cheaper to build and straight six.

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #5  
I thought the 4.5 Duramax had been dropped?
It's cheaper to build and straight six.

It was shelved during bankruptcy. But everything was retained, tooling included. A straight six is not cheaper to build when you have no tooling. This will be built at the Duramax plant in ohio.

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #6  
I wish that GM would go ahead and do it.

Maybe that would push Ford into the market as well. They've been promising a smaller diesel for the F150 for years. We're still waiting. :rolleyes:

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ?
It was shelved during bankruptcy. But everything was retained, tooling included. A straight six is not cheaper to build when you have no tooling. This will be built at the Duramax plant in ohio.

The 2L Fiat is already tooled up, certified and in comercial production. Making it into a 3.0L straight six making 300HP is simple and economical. Even allows elimination of the four's balancer shafts.
The 4.5 Duramax is stacked in a warehouse and the staff familiar with it are retired, laid off or on other projects.
I'll place my wager on a Fiat straight six diesel.

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #8  
The 2L Fiat is already tooled up, certified and in comercial production. Making it into a 3.0L straight six making 300HP is simple and economical. Even allows elimination of the four's balancer shafts.
The 4.5 Duramax is stacked in a warehouse and the staff familiar with it are retired, laid off or on other projects.

Do not hold your breath!! GM has 2.8L inline 4 Duramax's in the Colorado/Canyon downunder, no chance of them ditching that for a Fiat. And contrary to popular belief, a 3.0 inline 6 will not have enough to move a new 1500 series around efficiently. The tow ratings on the new series are going up, not down.

A 4.5L will happen long before Fiat power will.

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #9  

i'm not an automotive engineer, but i'm wondering how it will be simple and economical to add two cylinders to a 148hp inline 4 and magically have it come out at 300hp. on top of that i'm wondering why people think they need 300hp minimum in a diesel pickup. i guess you were talking about the 1/2 ton diesel that a lot of people on here want, and i was thinking diesel in small platform truck / suv. i don't see the diesel happening in a half ton no matter whether it is a 6 or small 8. i do think a small diesel in a small truck / suv is capable of getting fuel economy that might make it practical since you aren't going to be getting an 11k tow rating and 2000lb payload. diesels in small trucks work in the rest of the world so logic would say they should work here too, if the buying public can relearn common sense.

everyone has been spoiled by 300hp as a starting point and they think they have to have it in their half tons now. they want to buy a half ton thinking they can magically get high fuel economy, but they want one ton power at the same time. the engineering has come a long way, but you're going to have to make a deal with the devil if you think you're going to get 30+ mpg and 300+ horsepower in a half ton truck. horsepower numbers in a truck are pretty much useless anyways. how often are you redlining when you tow 6 tons? what matters is the shape of the torque curve. you want as much power where you drive, which should be at idle to 2k rpm max.

i believe my truck puts out 235hp at 2700rpm. sounds pretty pitiful doesn't it? most people here probably wouldn't want that low of a power number in their truck.

/ Future inline 6 version of the Cruze 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo diesel for light pickups ? #10  
everyone has been spoiled by 300hp as a starting point and they think they have to have it in their half tons now. they want to buy a half ton thinking they can magically get high fuel economy, but they want one ton power at the same time.

Agreed. The horsepower wars go on unrelenting and I have to wonder what questions they're asking their "customers" and if they'd even be customers anyway.

My truck is a 6.5 TD that's seen some mods (4" exhaust/chip/intake/etc) and gets an honest 20 mpg if I keep it below 70mph. Though vastly better than delivered, it still can't get out of its way compared to a duramax but it's all I need to pull my tractor/trailer.

Still, I was quite disappointed whent they dumped the 4.5 as I would have bought one.