Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil?

/ Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil? #1  

phiferpharm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen Chipper/Vac
I'm finally getting around to working on my 64 El Camino Project. It has not been started as far as I know for two years, so I'm thinking the best way to go is to take out the plugs and put in a lubricant, drain the coolant and replace, and do the same with the oil. I have a fellow who is going to help me with the engine, and he said pull the plugs and put in Marvel. I went looking for it today and struck out, but I do have Sea Foam. Will that work or should I keep looking?

/ Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil? #2  
I'm finally getting around to working on my 64 El Camino Project. It has not been started as far as I know for two years, so I'm thinking the best way to go is to take out the plugs and put in a lubricant, drain the coolant and replace, and do the same with the oil. I have a fellow who is going to help me with the engine, and he said pull the plugs and put in Marvel. I went looking for it today and struck out, but I do have Sea Foam. Will that work or should I keep looking?

Use ATF and Diesel mix 50 50. Give each a 1 ounce squirt and let sit for overnight repeat next day then turn engine over. Other product is Kroil but is a bit expensive.

/ Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil?
Thanks Murph, this is going to be interesting from what I can figure. Fortunately I had a hunch that I should take some wasp spray with me when I towed it over from my son's place to my Barn this afternoon. It was needed several times..:eek:

/ Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil? #4  
Thanks Murph, this is going to be interesting from what I can figure. Fortunately I had a hunch that I should take some wasp spray with me when I towed it over from my son's place to my Barn this afternoon. It was needed several times..:eek:

Ouch, Can you post some pics of the car in between stings?:D

Here is what we're starting from. The Wasp nests were under the junk that was in the bed, behind the gas filler door, and on the engine. I may discover more as I go, so my new best friend is the can of Wasp spray.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• elke01.gif
    elke01.gif
    278.5 KB · Views: 328
  • elke02.gif
    elke02.gif
    273.8 KB · Views: 274
  • elke03.gif
    elke03.gif
    306.3 KB · Views: 213
   / Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil? #6  
Nice looking project! I'll echo the 50/50 mixture from Murphy...cheaper than Marvel Mystery Oil probably, also. Be sure to post some pics as the project gets moves along.

/ Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil? #7  
The body looks to be in good shape. Nice little car/truck vehicle for collector. Too bad that Chevy didn't build them with enough suspension to really haul something which is what caused the demise. Trying to make a car into a truck just doesn't work too well.

/ Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil? #8  
That is going to be a nice ride, Take your time and enjoy.

/ Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil? #9  
Seafoam isn't a lubricant/penetrant, like Marvel, ATF, etc. So, it will burn when you try to start it, but it won't do anything to protect the dry cylinders or to free anything up.
Once you do have it going, follow the instructions on the can of Seafoam and siphon some of it through the carburetor. It will clean things up.
Hard to believe anyone is dealing with wasps! I have been in a 30 F barn all day working- wasps and warm weather are far from my mind.

Your right Gary, it is not much of a truck wannabe, but will be fun to take to the car gatherings that occur around here. Hodge - It has dropped back down to being in the low 40's overnight for the next few days, but in the 70's during the day. I gotcha on the Sea Foam and ended up getting Marvel at Napa. The engine is actually not in bad shape, but we decided to take it out, get new headers, and do the body/paint work before re-installing it. That way it will be easier to redo the paint in the engine compartment, redo the wiring, and clean up some rough looking stuff.