Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen Chipper/Vac

Default Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil?

I'm finally getting around to working on my 64 El Camino Project. It has not been started as far as I know for two years, so I'm thinking the best way to go is to take out the plugs and put in a lubricant, drain the coolant and replace, and do the same with the oil. I have a fellow who is going to help me with the engine, and he said pull the plugs and put in Marvel. I went looking for it today and struck out, but I do have Sea Foam. Will that work or should I keep looking?
    Doug P

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: Can I use Sea Foam like I would use Marvel Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by phiferpharm View Post
    I'm finally getting around to working on my 64 El Camino Project. It has not been started as far as I know for two years, so I'm thinking the best way to go is to take out the plugs and put in a lubricant, drain the coolant and replace, and do the same with the oil. I have a fellow who is going to help me with the engine, and he said pull the plugs and put in Marvel. I went looking for it today and struck out, but I do have Sea Foam. Will that work or should I keep looking?
    Use ATF and Diesel mix 50 50. Give each a 1 ounce squirt and let sit for overnight repeat next day then turn engine over. Other product is Kroil but is a bit expensive.
    Murph ------------

Tractor

Thanks Murph, this is going to be interesting from what I can figure. Fortunately I had a hunch that I should take some wasp spray with me when I towed it over from my son's place to my Barn this afternoon. It was needed several times..
    Doug P

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by phiferpharm View Post
    Thanks Murph, this is going to be interesting from what I can figure. Fortunately I had a hunch that I should take some wasp spray with me when I towed it over from my son's place to my Barn this afternoon. It was needed several times..
    Ouch, Can you post some pics of the car in between stings?
    Murph ------------

Tractor

Here is what we're starting from. The Wasp nests were under the junk that was in the bed, behind the gas filler door, and on the engine. I may discover more as I go, so my new best friend is the can of Wasp spray.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -elke01-gif   -elke02-gif   -elke03-gif  
    Doug P

Silver Member Little Red Tractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 6284

Nice looking project! I'll echo the 50/50 mixture from Murphy...cheaper than Marvel Mystery Oil probably, also. Be sure to post some pics as the project gets moves along.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

The body looks to be in good shape. Nice little car/truck vehicle for collector. Too bad that Chevy didn't build them with enough suspension to really haul something which is what caused the demise. Trying to make a car into a truck just doesn't work too well.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor

That is going to be a nice ride, Take your time and enjoy.
    Murph ------------

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD

Seafoam isn't a lubricant/penetrant, like Marvel, ATF, etc. So, it will burn when you try to start it, but it won't do anything to protect the dry cylinders or to free anything up.
    Once you do have it going, follow the instructions on the can of Seafoam and siphon some of it through the carburetor. It will clean things up.
    Hard to believe anyone is dealing with wasps! I have been in a 30 F barn all day working- wasps and warm weather are far from my mind.
    "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..." Romans 1:16
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
    94 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Tractor

Your right Gary, it is not much of a truck wannabe, but will be fun to take to the car gatherings that occur around here. Hodge - It has dropped back down to being in the low 40's overnight for the next few days, but in the 70's during the day. I gotcha on the Sea Foam and ended up getting Marvel at Napa. The engine is actually not in bad shape, but we decided to take it out, get new headers, and do the body/paint work before re-installing it. That way it will be easier to redo the paint in the engine compartment, redo the wiring, and clean up some rough looking stuff.
    Doug P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast