Getting gas out of car.

/ Getting gas out of car. #1  

CNC Dan

Veteran Member
I had to use the generator at my parents house last weekend to keep the heat on during the big blizzard.
They don't keep much gas stored as it goes bad so quick now, and they haven't lost power for many years.

So I went through what we had in short order warming up three apartments. The tenants didn't call 'till 12hrs. later.

Anyway I had filled both my cars ahead of the storm, but was unable to siphion from either one due to the rollover valves in the filler necks.

So I am thinking there must be a way to get gas out of these cars for next time. Does anyone know if there is a way to use one of those fuel injector cleaner kits that hook up to the fuel rail to draw off a few gallons? I figure i could make up a switch cord that would plug into the fuse block where the fuel pump relay goes to run the fuel pump with out having to run the engine.
I just don't want to tee into the fuel line if I can avoid it.

Just a fitting that can go onto the test port, a valve, and a few feet of fuel line and I'd be all set.
Anyone done anything like this?

/ Getting gas out of car. #2  
Took the line off at the under dash fuel filter and pumped it out 8 seconds at a time in the old Nissan pickup. The rest were full and I not get it out.

An open cap tank like on some old saddle tanks or a gas tractor tank is about the only ones I know a how works now a days it seems.

Tapping the return line might work but I would not want to do the job outside in a storm.

/ Getting gas out of car.
Gale Hawkins said:
Took the line off at the under dash fuel filter and pumped it out 8 seconds at a time in the old Nissan pickup. The rest were full and I not get it out.

An open cap tank like on some old saddle tanks or a gas tractor tank is about the only ones I know a how works now a days it seems.

Tapping the return line might work but I would not want to do the job outside in a storm.

The Jeeps filter is in the tank. And I'm looking for something that would work with other cars too.
I have a garage so transfering fuel during a storm would be doable.

/ Getting gas out of car. #4  
There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it. I have yet to try. Would be nice to know in an emergency. I store a bunch gas for a generator during an extended outage. More is always better, so getting it out if vehicles would be great.

BuzzardA91 said:
There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it. I have yet to try. Would be nice to know in an emergency. I store a bunch gas for a generator during an extended outage. More is always better, so getting it out if vehicles would be great.

Realy! What search terms would you suggest? I tried but came up empty.

/ Getting gas out of car. #6  
How to Siphon Gas from a Newer Vehicle - YouTube

Try "Syphon gas car". There are a bunch i just checked. Some better then others. If you figure it out please post. Before I improved my sustainability we lost power for 10 days during a massive October snowstorm last year with heavy damage throughout northeast. I thought I was good, plenty food, generator gas etc. I learned quickly I couldn't get to a gas station and when I could they were empty. I tried to Syphon but failed and had no Internet or cell service to look it up. I never ran out but was on a tight ration. Lucky it was warm. I have enough for 3 weeks now in the most severe of temps and much longer if house isn't gonna freeze. I would like to perfect the Syphon before I really need it.

/ Getting gas out of car. #7  
Some folks will kill themselves to be seen in a stupid video clip I guess. :(

/ Getting gas out of car. #8  
Ive done it have to jumper the fuel relay to get continuous flow. newer cars might be more difficult since the pumps are PWM controled since they removed the return fuel line to the tank not sure though ive never tried it on anything newer than a 1996

xring100 said:
Ive done it have to jumper the fuel relay to get continuous flow.
That won't be a problem for me.
I just need the fitting to atatch to the fuel rail.