The age old question .....Synthetic or not

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #11  
Hello,
Soundguy did you know that napa brand and carquest brand oil are the same as valvoline oil, All by ashland oil company. Thats what i run in my cummins. Its cheaper due to the fact that valvoline has more marketing to pay for. If you don't believe me look at the back of the bottle on both next time at napa or carquest. I would think its safe to say that ashland oil doesn't have a special tank just for valvoline and another for napa and another for carquest. Its all about the:2cents:

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #12  
i think it's safe to say that the valvoline ultra blue premium full synthetic 5w40 i was talking baout is a different product than generci napa or car quest oil.

Hello,
Soundguy did you know that napa brand and carquest brand oil are the same as valvoline oil, All by ashland oil company. Thats what i run in my cummins. Its cheaper due to the fact that valvoline has more marketing to pay for. If you don't believe me look at the back of the bottle on both next time at napa or carquest. I would think its safe to say that ashland oil doesn't have a special tank just for valvoline and another for napa and another for carquest. Its all about the:2cents:

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #13  
changing the oil and filter on a 2004 f150 5.4 litre v8, calls for mtrcrft syn blend...looking for a bit of direction, seems a blend is just that,i have had good luck w conventional oils and change them regularly,first time on this motor,its turning 100k

Thanks

Good recommendations have been listed. I agree, stay with a good quality semi-synth like Motorcraft, or the decent synthetics mentioned (ie. not conventional). Truck motors, like many things, are different than they used to be (head machining, cam phasers.....), so OE requirements have stepped up accordingly.

I too buy decent synthetics at Wally world, at around the $25 level, or less, on sale. Just wanted to list one other option for you - Amsoil's OE synth is a little under $5/quart, in 5W20 (Preferred Customer price - small annual fee to get).

I'm not an Amsoil dealer, and am not looking to start yet another Amsoil flamefest.... just wanted to touch on that option in case you are amongst the 0.0000000001% in the USA who do not live near a Wally World.

As a customer, I do use Amsoil products - mostly gear oil, ATF, and motorcycle oil. I've used probably all the gas synthetics discussed in this thread over the years, and have had good service from all of them.

It might just be my Canadian conditioning talking, but if you plan to keep that truck a while, I'd change the motor oil on the Severe Service schedule. Oil is still pretty cheap, compared to any engine related problems.

Rgds, D.

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #14  
just me.. but if it called for a syn blend.. I'd either use that or full syn.. not conventional.. etc..

I can tell you this.

My 04 f250 with 6.0 PSD likes valvoline ultra blue HD full syn 5w40 ALOT better than the specified orange bottle motorcraft 15w40 powerstrok diesel oil.

soundguy

I recall reading over on BITOG the analysis reports on Valvoline's conventional HDEO (for diesels). Premium Blue Classic ? Might be remembering their market name wrong.....

Anyway..... Valvoline's conventional diesel oil had outstanding results, even when pushed out a bit in mileage. Based on the performance of the kid brother, the Ultra Blue must really kick you-know-what !

Mostly, I only notice Ultra Blue at TSC around here.

Rgds, D.

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #15  
i'm quite happy with it.. even at the extended price.

I could make some claims like it makes it go faster.. etc.. etc.. cures male pattern baldness..e tc.. but that would be conjecture. :)

one of my powerstrokes see's extended high rpm usage for long raod trips. that truck has a 4.88 rear end.. so it tach's high to make interstate speed. 99$ of the time it is pulling a gooseneck flatbed with some piece of farm equipment tied to it, hauling home from another state. with a 70g fuel tank.. that engine doesn't see much rest on a trip.. thus i feel that is extra severs duty, and try to feed it an oil to cope with it. expecially heat issues. I have a pyrometer and extra trans cooler.. etc.. am running all syn in that one.. tranny.. rear end.. ps.. etc....

I recall reading over on BITOG the analysis reports on Valvoline's conventional HDEO (for diesels). Premium Blue Classic ? Might be remembering their market name wrong.....

Anyway..... Valvoline's conventional diesel oil had outstanding results, even when pushed out a bit in mileage. Based on the performance of the kid brother, the Ultra Blue must really kick you-know-what !

Mostly, I only notice Ultra Blue at TSC around here.

Rgds, D.

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #16  

I could make some claims like it makes it go faster.. etc.. etc.. cures male pattern baldness..e tc.. but that would be conjecture. :)

Naaahhhh.... that's just called Marketing ! :D

one of my powerstrokes see's extended high rpm usage for long raod trips. that truck has a 4.88 rear end.. so it tach's high to make interstate speed. 99$ of the time it is pulling a gooseneck flatbed with some piece of farm equipment tied to it, hauling home from another state. with a 70g fuel tank.. that engine doesn't see much rest on a trip.. thus i feel that is extra severs duty, and try to feed it an oil to cope with it. expecially heat issues. I have a pyrometer and extra trans cooler.. etc.. am running all syn in that one.. tranny.. rear end.. ps.. etc....

Yeah.... I seem to recall you having that truck geared to pull a coupla houses behind you !

I figure if you work your body hard, eating properly and hitting the gym ain't a bad plan.

Work a truck hard..... a few extra $ on "the good stuff" = No Brainer.

Happy Trails.

D.

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #17  
Soundguy your right i misspoke. The dino diesel oil is the same. The napa brand syn. oil is also by ashland oil same as valvoline. I will have to check if they have the napa brand 5w40 syn diesel oil. I have only seen the napa syn. oil in 10w30 and 5w30.

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #18  
Hey Chris,

The Premium blue 5W40 holds up well in the Florida heat?It is my oil of choice for the winter, may consider it for the summer.

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #19  
Hopefully Valvoline has made some improvements since their bad test results several years ago. It scored lowest of the synthetics and barely better than conventional. don-ohio

/ The age old question .....Synthetic or not #20  
Well, we're not talking about oil sumps the size as the one on my semi here. For a few quarts, going full synthetic is not a bad choice from a much of a cost perspective. As for whether you need it, gonna have to really prove that one. There is no real benefit to using full synthetics unless you are operating in extreme conditions, you know, like the Arctic. Or are going for serious extended drain intervals. Synthetics shine in those areas. For normal operating and normal towing, nope. No one can prove it has that much more benefit for the cost. It mostly just makes them feel better that they are putting in the "best", or what they perceive to be the best. But again, we are talking only a few quarts, so it is not much of an issue anyway. Just put in the synthetic if your gut tells you to and don't look back. Most of the brands are solid performers. Look for the best pricing and go with it. I use a Delo 400 5w40 synthetic in a couple of applications and have had good results. Have been picking it up at Wally World for about $19.98 a gallon.