Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Default Re: Do you need a Mr. Funnel?

Quote Originally Posted by dadreier View Post
    Is the eBay item the same physical size as the illustration where it is being used to fill a chainsaw?

If so, I always use a MUCH bigger funnel when fueling the machines with 5 and 6 gal jugs.

Are other sizes available?
    Yes, other sizes are available, and like you , I prefer a large funnel because I use no nozzle on the can and like a big target. Personally I use the Racor re-brand, model RFF8C. It will flow up to 5 GPM, plenty fast for a 5 gallon can. They also make one bigger, the RFF15C which does 15GPM. The small one in the original eBay auction the F3C will do up to 3.5GPM.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

I have one of the larger funnels and it still flows a bit slow. I really doubt I'm getting 15 gpm. I was disappointed that it may not filter water if it is emulsified in the fuel. I have a 30-gallon metal container with a hand-crank pump. It works great but obviously the fuel gets really churned up during the pumping process so any water that may get in there from condensation may pass through.

As long as your can of fuel has not been shaken the filter should work as advertised.

Tractor
    NH T1510 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Yes, other sizes are available, and like you , I prefer a large funnel because I use no nozzle on the can and like a big target.
    The advertisement says it's self cleaning. How is that accomplished?
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    "If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?"

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by duroc View Post
    The advertisement says it's self cleaning. How is that accomplished?
    Gas washes any debris into the dammed up area under the filter?

The mesh is VERY fine I cant see dirt embedding in it. It's self cleaning in the sense that when your filling, your washing the mesh at the same time.

Tractor
    NH T1510 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Gas washes any debris into the dammed up area under the filter?

The mesh is VERY fine I cant see dirt embedding in it. It's self cleaning in the sense that when your filling, your washing the mesh at the same time.
    Oh, okay, I understand now! The only problem I can see with one is not being able to see when the fuel reaches the top of the fill neck on my tractor because of it's size. The fill neck has a very abrupt angle and it's hard to see when the fuel reaches the top. I guess I can work something out for that tho. I think I'll opt for the medium size funnel. Thanks for the reply!
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Oh, okay, I understand now! The only problem I can see with one is not being able to see when the fuel reaches the top of the fill neck on my tractor because of it's size. The fill neck has a very abrupt angle and it's hard to see when the fuel reaches the top. I guess I can work something out for that tho. I think I'll opt for the medium size funnel. Thanks for the reply!
    No problem

Yes it can be a bit difficult to see level. After some experience you can tell when your getting close to the top, then adjust the fill rate accordingly. In my opinion the funnel's benefits outweigh the difficulties.

Platinum Member

when filling my tractor i use one of the new-style cans that many members here can't operate successfully - the ones with the no-spill spring loaded filler neck. i find that it is the best thing since sliced bread because i can't possibly overfill or spill, which i always do with a standard can. if i needed to filter the fuel for water i'd dump the fuel into another can - or even a bucket if i had to, then use the funnel to fill my can back up. then i would have a filtered can that i could put into the tractor through the no-spill spout on the can. sure, it's cumbersome, but it would be way better than trying to eyeball the fuel level under a large funnel.

all that being said, i can't say that i'd bother to filter too much of my fuel. if it had been sitting a while then maybe, but if i happen to have the tractor on the trailer i'll fill it directly at the pump, just as i do my vehicle, so if i go and get a can to use immediately i'd just dump it in the tractor and not filter it anyways.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

Sounds like a good invention. I run mopeds and can't have any water in the tiny 2-strokes. don-ohio (:^)

Tractor
    NH T1510 HST

Quote Originally Posted by lostcause View Post
    when filling my tractor i use one of the new-style cans that many members here can't operate successfully - the ones with the no-spill spring loaded filler neck. i find that it is the best thing since sliced bread because i can't possibly overfill or spill, which i always do with a standard can.
    Those are the cans I use too, because there's not much else available anymore. BUT, I removed the plastic lock pawl and that allows me to just push on the spring-loaded handle and not worry about holding the safety on too.

if i needed to filter the fuel for water i'd dump the fuel into another can - or even a bucket if i had to, then use the funnel to fill my can back up. then i would have a filtered can that i could put into the tractor through the no-spill spout on the can. sure, it's cumbersome, but it would be way better than trying to eyeball the fuel level under a large funnel.
    I've thought about that too, but not sure if that's the way I'll go. It is certainly one option though! Thanks for the reply!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123