Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota B2910

Default Transmission and Front Axle Fluid

I am coming close to my 50 hour service and am trying to see what alternatives there are to kubota products. Are there better fluids outside of Kubota fluids? I was wondering what alternatives people are using in the transmission and front axle besides Kubota UDT or SUPER UDT as listed in the owners manual? It also says that I SAE80 or SAE90 gear oil can be used. Would it matter if I used something other than Kubota products for the transmission and front axle fluid? What are you all using for the transmission and front axle? Any help?

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Transmission and Front Axle Fluid

I've heard you can use universal tractor fluid or 80/90 I've heard suggestions for 85/140 and 75w-140 all of will work..

maybe 75/140 + 10w20 will be better in north in winter 80/90 is like 20-30weight oil and 85w-140 is like 25w and 50w motor oil equiv.

Tractor
    none, nothing, nada

For the front axle, my kubota dealer here simply uses UDT. Its a matter of simple lubrication and there is no extreme pressure to speak of. Using 90W gear oil is fine as well, as the manual mentions. I prefer to use the UDT to simplify and to have only one extra container of oil around to add oil to either the transmission or front axle. If it were really important to use one or the other, it would surely have been recommended. For a UDT hydraulic fluid for your transmission equivalent, just look at the various manufactuers and be sure its listed to be used in a Kubota. There are many. Some folks like Amsoil's hydraulic fluid for their transmissions/hydraulics for it's cold weather ability, that makes sense. It's less costly then Super UDT but also exhibits slightly less performance specifications. Remember, UDT or the equivalent for the transmission and front axle or 90W for the front axle, Rat...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( SAE80 or SAE90 gear oil can be used )</font>

You can use those in the front axle, although I think your tractor came with UDT in it. But you must not use SAE80 or SAE90 in the transmission. There are, of course, a number of other hydraulic oils that can be used.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota b7200hst

Not sure about the 2910 but the brake system on my 7200hst is hooked into the hydraulic system somehow and using something other than a universal tractor hydraulic fluid will ruin them quick (or so I have been told). The service manual lists the following products for use in the hydraulic system on the 7200hst:

kubota UDT
    Shell Donax-TD, DOnax-TM
    Mobil fluid 350
    Exxon Torque Fluid 56

Front axle fluid is specified as Gear oil, SAE80 or SAE90.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of car quest universal tractor hydraulic fluid, certified to meet kubota specifications, when the local dealer had it on sale for 31 bucks for the 5 gallon bucket. It is not that I was being cheap as much as the nearest kubota dealer is an hour and a half drive from here and my old 7200hst leaks several places and I needed some sooner than later. That and I know that neither Carquest nor Kubota manufacture hydraulic fluid so figured carquest probably bought from one of the same people Kubota buy from.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, JD and a Grillo

Thats not cheap, the off beat UDT is $17 to $18 per 5 gallon here. Big timer.... $31 per.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

sam's universal is around 17-18$ and TSC is 22-26$ and you can get regular UDT for like 31-35$ at tractorsmart.com i think up in johnsoncity i believe but not sure.

Tractor
    Kubota B2910

I have decided that I am going to just use the kubota fluid and cut the complications and warranty issues. What is the difference between UDT and SUPER UDT? Is SUPER UDT better for the transmission and front axle? Is SUPER UDT more expensive? Would anybody recommend using SUPER UDT over UDT?

Thanks,
    Dave

Tractor
    none, nothing, nada

Super "UDT is about $70 for a 5 gallon pail vs about $40 for UD. Here in California, dealers pretty much use UD since the superior cold weather characteristics of Super UDT are really not needed. For the front axle, UD is more then adequate. Remember, UD and Super UDT are roughly a 30W in viscosity. Unless its quite cold in Virginia in the winter, you will be fine with UD or an equivalent. Rat...

Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

I used UDT in the XMSN and for the frt end i used mystik jt-7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast