Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: Diesel fuel red or green

What everyone else said, it's the same stuff, my father in law sold both kinds and I used both in our tractors. I now have it delivered in bulk, so it is all off road.

Im presently using heating oil that was bought in 2004.. had no pronlems but i now do put a bit of treatment in.As it was clearanced at wally world.actually One time last year. i burned 13 gallons of diesl from the pump and the filter was quite yucky..

Tractor
    John Deere 770, Bobcat 753

When I was in college I had a diesel truck that was dipped once. There was a cop waiving me into a weigh station. Pulled in, he immediately dipped the tank and sent me off. It was a road I travelled daily and I think they wanted to pull me over for a while. I was followed a lot by state cruisers. But it was legal and I never exceeded the speed limit (the truck could barely make the speed limit), so they tried to get me on the fuel.
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Silver Member
    Tractor
    shibaura s1500/kuboto bx2200/

how much cheaper is offroad fuel and where in jacksonville fl can I get it as we have a bx22 and a shibaura and a generator I would like to save on fuel

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by boxorox View Post
    how much cheaper is offroad fuel and where in jacksonville fl can I get it as we have a bx22 and a shibaura and a generator I would like to save on fuel
    Around here about $.30/gal. Some areas it can be hard to find and the extra hassle out weighs the savings.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by boxorox View Post
    Just search your area phone book for bulk fuel distributors or ask any farmer in your area where he gets his fuel. Most of them wont deliver less than 150 gallons but you should be able to take a smaller tank to their bulk storage location and have it filled.
    The price would be minus any Federal and state road tax + county or city road taxes that you may have. It could be anywhere from $.30-60 per gallon depending on your local tax structure.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

My tractor says to run low or ultra low sulpher content fuel. From this discussion, can I am assume off road fuel meets that?

My neighbor has a couple hundred gallons of new heating fuel for his furnace he wants to get rid of for free. Would I be safe using that in my 2010 tractors?

What about using off-road and that heating fuel at a 50-50 mix or there abouts?

I use additive no matter where I get the fuel.
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Tractor
    Case CX90, IH 1086

I've never had a fuel filter come out of my tractor colored red. The dye will bleach out in the sun, so I seriously doubt it's going to show up in the exhaust either.

Tractor
    John Deere 4440

I am sure they test for the red dye but I have never seen it happen. I have drove diesel trucks since 1995. Most of them have had an auxiliary tank in the back to fuel equipment which you think would make me suspicious but I have never been checked. I have had DOT numbers on my truck since 2008 and have been through numerous states and weigh stations and never have been checked.

That being said I run green all the time even in my aux tank because I often use it to fuel my truck and the savings of the red fuel for my equipment is not worth the loss of being able to fill up my truck when need be.
    1980 John Deere 4440 with duals
    2006 John Deere 322 compact track loader

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L-45

I work for a municipality and they run the red fuel all the time in the trucks, and anything that runs on diesel, because they are tax exempt. I don't know why I'm getting involved in this but I'm just saying same stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast