Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #1  

kco

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)
I purchased a 70 gallon Tidy Tank and pump for diesel storage and am in the process of cleaning and painting it.

I intend to add a Goldenrod fuel filter as available at Northern Tool and Princess Auto. They offer water absorbing or plain filters. The water absorbing filter is just $5.00 more, so I suspect that is the way to go.

I'm just wondering if there is a reason (other than cost) why the water absorbing filter would not be the better choice.

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #2  
condensation can and will build up in a tank, and be a source for water into the fuel. more so when the tank is not completely full. a water absorption filter, will only absorb up to a certain amount and the not absorb any more water.

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #3  
Kco,

I am south of you in NW Oregon and not only is condensation, but there are times when your supplier dumps some water in with the load by accident.

Water in you tractor fuel system can cause horrible problems.

For my ten cents worth, I always put the water absorbing filters on my storage tanks and transfer tanks.

Good luck with your new tank.

Nick, North West Farmer

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #4  
condensation can and will build up in a tank, and be a source for water into the fuel. more so when the tank is not completely full. a water absorption filter, will only absorb up to a certain amount and the not absorb any more water.

When the filter gets full of water it also stops the flow of fuel through the filter, which is an indicator to change the filter.

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #5  
:thumbsup:
I purchased a 70 gallon Tidy Tank and pump for diesel storage and am in the process of cleaning and painting it.

I intend to add a Goldenrod fuel filter as available at Northern Tool and Princess Auto. They offer water absorbing or plain filters. The water absorbing filter is just $5.00 more, so I suspect that is the way to go.

I'm just wondering if there is a reason (other than cost) why the water absorbing filter would not be the better choice.

On my diesel tank and a 1000 gal aviation fuel tank I put a plain filter ahead of the water filter. Like a belt and suspenders.

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #6  
And in the winter the water in the filter housing can freeze up. I find its easier to keep an eye on the tractor filter/separator

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #7  
My tractor first stalled at 50 hours due to water in the fuel. Second time was less than 100 hours. Then I put a Goldenrod filter with water filter on my tank. Since then I have not had any tractor problems (now at 450 hours) but I have had to change the Golden Rod twice due to water plugging. Separating the water out before it gets to the tractor sure beats stalling in the field (first time) or on the road (second time).

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain? #8  
Interesting discussion.

Been looking at the waterblock (56591) and standard (56590) Goldenrod filters.

I was thinking the standard should work almost as well as the water would settle at the bottom of the filter and I'd see it and drain it. Thus filter element would last lot longer.

??

Mike

/ Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?
Interesting discussion.

Been looking at the waterblock (56591) and standard (56590) Goldenrod filters.

I was thinking the standard should work almost as well as the water would settle at the bottom of the filter and I'd see it and drain it. Thus filter element would last lot longer.

??

Mike

I agree, Mike--an interesting discussion.

I bought the waterblock filter. The information sheet that came with it says it will block 1/2 cup of water before plugging up.

Some information I read says not all suspended water will settle out in an ordinary filter. So I went with the water absorbing one.

I use under 300 US gallons per year so the filter will likely last a long time.