Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    805
    Location
    Armstrong, BC
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

    Default Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

    I purchased a 70 gallon Tidy Tank and pump for diesel storage and am in the process of cleaning and painting it.

    I intend to add a Goldenrod fuel filter as available at Northern Tool and Princess Auto. They offer water absorbing or plain filters. The water absorbing filter is just $5.00 more, so I suspect that is the way to go.

    I'm just wondering if there is a reason (other than cost) why the water absorbing filter would not be the better choice.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,129
    Location
    Trivoli, IL
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

    Default Re: Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

    condensation can and will build up in a tank, and be a source for water into the fuel. more so when the tank is not completely full. a water absorption filter, will only absorb up to a certain amount and the not absorb any more water.
    Ryan

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    106
    Location
    35 miles S.W. of Portland, Oregon
    Tractor
    Farmall 560, Farmall 400, Farmall M, International 606, Oliver 77, John Deere Backhoe-300B, Bolens H16, Farmall W6

    Default Re: Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

    Kco,

    I am south of you in NW Oregon and not only is condensation, but there are times when your supplier dumps some water in with the load by accident.

    Water in you tractor fuel system can cause horrible problems.

    For my ten cents worth, I always put the water absorbing filters on my storage tanks and transfer tanks.

    Good luck with your new tank.

    Nick, North West Farmer

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    647
    Location
    BEECHER CITY, IL
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

    Default Re: Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

    Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    condensation can and will build up in a tank, and be a source for water into the fuel. more so when the tank is not completely full. a water absorption filter, will only absorb up to a certain amount and the not absorb any more water.
    When the filter gets full of water it also stops the flow of fuel through the filter, which is an indicator to change the filter.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

  5. #5
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    57
    Location
    northern il
    Tractor
    cub yanmar lx410 fel jd 850

    Default Re: Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

    Quote Originally Posted by kco View Post
    I purchased a 70 gallon Tidy Tank and pump for diesel storage and am in the process of cleaning and painting it.

    I intend to add a Goldenrod fuel filter as available at Northern Tool and Princess Auto. They offer water absorbing or plain filters. The water absorbing filter is just $5.00 more, so I suspect that is the way to go.

    I'm just wondering if there is a reason (other than cost) why the water absorbing filter would not be the better choice.
    On my diesel tank and a 1000 gal aviation fuel tank I put a plain filter ahead of the water filter. Like a belt and suspenders.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,627
    Location
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Tractor
    JD4300

    Default Re: Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

    And in the winter the water in the filter housing can freeze up. I find its easier to keep an eye on the tractor filter/separator

  7. #7
    Veteran Member MHarryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Location
    Northeastern Minnesota
    Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

    Default

    My tractor first stalled at 50 hours due to water in the fuel. Second time was less than 100 hours. Then I put a Goldenrod filter with water filter on my tank. Since then I have not had any tractor problems (now at 450 hours) but I have had to change the Golden Rod twice due to water plugging. Separating the water out before it gets to the tractor sure beats stalling in the field (first time) or on the road (second time).
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

  8. #8
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    937
    Location
    15 mi. N. of Winchester VA
    Tractor
    CK30HST

    Default Re: Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

    Interesting discussion.

    Been looking at the waterblock (56591) and standard (56590) Goldenrod filters.

    I was thinking the standard should work almost as well as the water would settle at the bottom of the filter and I'd see it and drain it. Thus filter element would last lot longer.

    ??

    Mike

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    805
    Location
    Armstrong, BC
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrutkaus View Post
    Interesting discussion.

    Been looking at the waterblock (56591) and standard (56590) Goldenrod filters.

    I was thinking the standard should work almost as well as the water would settle at the bottom of the filter and I'd see it and drain it. Thus filter element would last lot longer.

    ??

    Mike
    I agree, Mike--an interesting discussion.

    I bought the waterblock filter. The information sheet that came with it says it will block 1/2 cup of water before plugging up.

    Some information I read says not all suspended water will settle out in an ordinary filter. So I went with the water absorbing one.

    I use under 300 US gallons per year so the filter will likely last a long time.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 12:16 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 01:33 PM
  3. Home heating oil tank as diesel storage tank
    By Boiler74 in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM
  4. What type of water tank storage tank?
    By stumpfield in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 05:05 PM
  5. selecting a filter for diesel storage tank
    By 1962 in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 12:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.