Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

Default Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

I purchased a 70 gallon Tidy Tank and pump for diesel storage and am in the process of cleaning and painting it.

I intend to add a Goldenrod fuel filter as available at Northern Tool and Princess Auto. They offer water absorbing or plain filters. The water absorbing filter is just $5.00 more, so I suspect that is the way to go.

I'm just wondering if there is a reason (other than cost) why the water absorbing filter would not be the better choice.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Default Re: Filter for Diesel Storage Tank - water absorbing or plain?

condensation can and will build up in a tank, and be a source for water into the fuel. more so when the tank is not completely full. a water absorption filter, will only absorb up to a certain amount and the not absorb any more water.
    Ryan

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Farmall 560, Farmall 400, Farmall M, International 606, Oliver 77, John Deere Backhoe-300B, Bolens H16, Farmall W6

Kco,

I am south of you in NW Oregon and not only is condensation, but there are times when your supplier dumps some water in with the load by accident.

Water in you tractor fuel system can cause horrible problems.

For my ten cents worth, I always put the water absorbing filters on my storage tanks and transfer tanks.

Good luck with your new tank.

Nick, North West Farmer

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    condensation can and will build up in a tank, and be a source for water into the fuel. more so when the tank is not completely full. a water absorption filter, will only absorb up to a certain amount and the not absorb any more water.
    When the filter gets full of water it also stops the flow of fuel through the filter, which is an indicator to change the filter.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    cub yanmar lx410 fel jd 850

Quote Originally Posted by kco View Post
    I purchased a 70 gallon Tidy Tank and pump for diesel storage and am in the process of cleaning and painting it.

I intend to add a Goldenrod fuel filter as available at Northern Tool and Princess Auto. They offer water absorbing or plain filters. The water absorbing filter is just $5.00 more, so I suspect that is the way to go.

I'm just wondering if there is a reason (other than cost) why the water absorbing filter would not be the better choice.
    On my diesel tank and a 1000 gal aviation fuel tank I put a plain filter ahead of the water filter. Like a belt and suspenders.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

And in the winter the water in the filter housing can freeze up. I find its easier to keep an eye on the tractor filter/separator

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

My tractor first stalled at 50 hours due to water in the fuel. Second time was less than 100 hours. Then I put a Goldenrod filter with water filter on my tank. Since then I have not had any tractor problems (now at 450 hours) but I have had to change the Golden Rod twice due to water plugging. Separating the water out before it gets to the tractor sure beats stalling in the field (first time) or on the road (second time).
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    CK30HST

Interesting discussion.

Been looking at the waterblock (56591) and standard (56590) Goldenrod filters.

I was thinking the standard should work almost as well as the water would settle at the bottom of the filter and I'd see it and drain it. Thus filter element would last lot longer.

??

Mike

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by mrutkaus View Post
    Interesting discussion.

Been looking at the waterblock (56591) and standard (56590) Goldenrod filters.

I was thinking the standard should work almost as well as the water would settle at the bottom of the filter and I'd see it and drain it. Thus filter element would last lot longer.

??

Mike
    I agree, Mike--an interesting discussion.

I bought the waterblock filter. The information sheet that came with it says it will block 1/2 cup of water before plugging up.

Some information I read says not all suspended water will settle out in an ordinary filter. So I went with the water absorbing one.

I use under 300 US gallons per year so the filter will likely last a long time.