Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage.

/ Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage. #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I have a 55 gallon drum and just put in an electric 12 volt pump. The pump is maybe 12 GPM.

I went to Ebay and, well, there are a TON of water separating filters to choose from. My goal is the cheapest that will do the job. I refill once every week in the summer, and in the winter once a month, maybe. I currently use one of those external filters and it is a mess.

I see a few filters (and housings, need the housing) that range from 30 micron to 2 micron. I thought water had a micron limit. and 30 was too big.

Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated.

/ Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage. #2  
I'm looking at the same thing for a 50 imp gallon tank. So far, I will likely go with a Goldenrod water absorbing housing and filter as available at Northern Tool or Princess Auto (Canada). The water absorbing assembly with filter is $45 vs $40 for the plain filter. Filters elements are $17 vs $8 at Princess Auto.

I started another thread in this forum about water absorbing vs plain filters. The responses have made me decide to go with water absorbing.

From what I understand the water absorbing filter does just that--i.e. it absorbs water rather than separate it. When it has absorbed to its capacity the filter will plug.

I'll watch this thread to see what other options come up.

/ Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage. #3  
Here is a picture of the Kaydon water strripper filters we use at work. This may help give you a idea of contruction. These are a 10 micron filter. Cellouse and fiberglass construction. They do a good job of getting water out of diesel fuel. I wont tell you the gallons that go thru these in a 500 hr service time, cause you wont believe me. But it is alot. We call them sock filters here. I dont know if they make a downsize version, but highly recommend them :thumbsup:.LUTT

Attachments

• c35188p1T.jpg
    c35188p1T.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 118
   / Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage. #4  
I have a 55 gallon drum and just put in an electric 12 volt pump. The pump is maybe 12 GPM.

I went to Ebay and, well, there are a TON of water separating filters to choose from. My goal is the cheapest that will do the job. I refill once every week in the summer, and in the winter once a month, maybe. I currently use one of those external filters and it is a mess.

I see a few filters (and housings, need the housing) that range from 30 micron to 2 micron. I thought water had a micron limit. and 30 was too big.

Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated.
Here is my filter that works fine.
photos042.jpg