Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage.

I have a 55 gallon drum and just put in an electric 12 volt pump. The pump is maybe 12 GPM.

I went to Ebay and, well, there are a TON of water separating filters to choose from. My goal is the cheapest that will do the job. I refill once every week in the summer, and in the winter once a month, maybe. I currently use one of those external filters and it is a mess.

I see a few filters (and housings, need the housing) that range from 30 micron to 2 micron. I thought water had a micron limit. and 30 was too big.

Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

kco
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

I'm looking at the same thing for a 50 imp gallon tank. So far, I will likely go with a Goldenrod water absorbing housing and filter as available at Northern Tool or Princess Auto (Canada). The water absorbing assembly with filter is $45 vs $40 for the plain filter. Filters elements are $17 vs $8 at Princess Auto.

I started another thread in this forum about water absorbing vs plain filters. The responses have made me decide to go with water absorbing.

From what I understand the water absorbing filter does just that--i.e. it absorbs water rather than separate it. When it has absorbed to its capacity the filter will plug.

I'll watch this thread to see what other options come up.

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew

Default Re: Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage.

Here is a picture of the Kaydon water strripper filters we use at work. This may help give you a idea of contruction. These are a 10 micron filter. Cellouse and fiberglass construction. They do a good job of getting water out of diesel fuel. I wont tell you the gallons that go thru these in a 500 hr service time, cause you wont believe me. But it is alot. We call them sock filters here. I dont know if they make a downsize version, but highly recommend them .LUTT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage.-c35188p1t.jpg  

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Default Re: Help Identifying water seperating filter for diesel storage.

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandfarms View Post
    I have a 55 gallon drum and just put in an electric 12 volt pump. The pump is maybe 12 GPM.

I went to Ebay and, well, there are a TON of water separating filters to choose from. My goal is the cheapest that will do the job. I refill once every week in the summer, and in the winter once a month, maybe. I currently use one of those external filters and it is a mess.

I see a few filters (and housings, need the housing) that range from 30 micron to 2 micron. I thought water had a micron limit. and 30 was too big.

Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated.
    Here is my filter that works fine.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B