OIL & FUEL ADDITIVES

/ OIL & FUEL ADDITIVES #1  

BIGDAVEHERE

Tractor
1964 Ford 4000 Diesel
Has anyone used the Diesel fuel cleaner or friction reducer Hot Shot Secret, If so any opinion. Thanks Dave

/ OIL & FUEL ADDITIVES #2  
BigDave,
I have not used the Hot Shot Secret friction reducer, but I would not recommend using it or any other oil additive. The reason I say this is that every oil that is on the market has additives that are built into it when it is blended. This blend is proprietary, the blender protects their blend as a trade secret. All of the different additives that are in the blend are in balance, adding more of one additive will effect the performance of other of the additives, quite likely in a negative way. So how can an additive company, without knowing what oil you will be adding it to, come up with an additive that will make the oil better than the original blender could? It will not help in the best case, and in the worst case, might throw the additive balance off and provide less protection.

From what they advertise, Hot Shot Secret is an ester, which is often used as the base for synthetic oils. Do yourself a favor, and just purchase a good synthetic motor oil, and forget the aftermarket additives.

In regards to the fuel additive, that is a bit different, the fuel blenders will use the minimum federally mandated additives to keep costs down, so there can be a benefit from fuel additives, but I would be leery of which company I purchased the fuel additive from.

/ OIL & FUEL ADDITIVES
I see what you mean about oil additives. I've kind of always thought that myself. Why should you have to add an additive if the oil is doing everything it's made to do. I have an older tractor, and it seems to get run the hardest when it's the hottest out, and was just wondering if an additive would help it run cooler or smoother when its under the most stress. Thanks for your thoughts. Dave

/ OIL & FUEL ADDITIVES #4  
The only people benefiting for engine oil additives are those selliing them.