Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission?

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #1  

IndyIan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Anyone tried this? Gear and manual trans oil seems to be silly expensive locally, $10-15 per liter for 75W90, and my pail of $3 per liter shell spirax meets the specs I need. GL-4 and 85W.
This is for my Chevy Tracker which has separate manual transmission and transfer case sumps from the differentials(which need GL-5).

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #2  
I wouldn't, but it would probably work O.K. You take some risk. Some vehicles seem finicky on the type of fluids they use.

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #3  
I'd use the recommended fluid. I do know some of the 80's Dodge manuals used atf. I had a 86 Daytona that called for atf in the manual gear box, however it wasn't used to tow anything. I imagine they specify the heavier fluid so as to minimize wear and not do any damage when towing.

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #4  
The oils that are recommended are often built for extensive use as well as what protections they need for those conditions. Gear oil might have additional cling factors to help protect the gears from getting dry and having little or no lubrication.

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #5  
Manual and automatic automotive transmissions have materials that can be damaged by improper lubes. Synchronizer’s and clutches have frictional requirements for proper operation.
So while it may work don’t chance it.
Hypoid rear axles have very specific lube requirements so don’t try to save a buck & risk it all..
90cummins

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #6  
if I was on the side of the raod and found myself with no trans and gear oil, and I had a 5g jug of utf? sure.. I'd pour it in and drive on home, and chenage when possible and never think twice.

if I'm home servicing my truck and changing the oils am I gonna use it? not unless , again.. it's what I had, AND I was DEAD broke and not eating... etc.

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission?
if I was on the side of the raod and found myself with no trans and gear oil, and I had a 5g jug of utf? sure.. I'd pour it in and drive on home, and chenage when possible and never think twice.

if I'm home servicing my truck and changing the oils am I gonna use it? not unless , again.. it's what I had, AND I was DEAD broke and not eating... etc.

Well, I ended up buying some proper trans oil... $60 for 4L was the cheapest in town :confused2: I guess to be a 75W90 it has to be synthetic and no one stocks 75W85 which would be alot cheaper. It would be silly to mess up the trans for $60, even in an old beater.

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #8  
i agree.

one caveat.

if it was an old no frills junkyard beater farm truck.. the kind that maybee only sees pasture and has no plates and you can see if it's muddy out by looking past your feet. or the kind that sees 1-2 trips a year on the road..

THAT i might run utf in.... and not feel too bad about. :)

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #9  
Well, I ended up buying some proper trans oil... $60 for 4L was the cheapest in town :confused2: I guess to be a 75W90 it has to be synthetic and no one stocks 75W85 which would be alot cheaper. It would be silly to mess up the trans for $60, even in an old beater.

I agree. Proper fluids are cheap comparied to a rebuild.

Chris

/ Using tractor fluid in automotive manual transmission? #10  
any 75W-90 GL4 gear lube is satifactory.