Fittings won't take grease

/ Fittings won't take grease #1  

dangrif

Tractor
Montana 2740
I can't get the front spindle grease fittings on my Montana 2740 to take grease. I have removed the fittings and they flow just fine as long as not installed. I have tried to force penetrating oil into the joint with one of those piston type injectors that you hit with a hammer with no success. I purchased this tractor used a year ago with only 69 hrs. on it & except for this problem it runs & works as new. I would appreciate any ideas someone may have on this problem short of disassembling everything. thanks, dangrif

/ Fittings won't take grease #2  
Try removing a zerk fitting that takes grease ok and swap it with the one that dosen't work.

/ Fittings won't take grease #3  
Try lifting weight off front of tractor & turning steering when applying pressure to grease fittings . Might have to apply some heat to melt the old grease in spindle ( heat gun might be enough )

/ Fittings won't take grease #4  
You might try jacking the front end up, and using grease in the piston type injector, and see if it will take grease while it is in the air with the weight off the front end.

/ Fittings won't take grease #5  
An old mechanics trick greasing king pins on large trucks, was to remove the zerk. Clean out the hole as much as possible. Make a half dam with grease, on the tip of your finger. Spray some penetrating oil in, all that will stay in. Re-intall the zerk quickly if working well, not letting the penetrant escape, and put some pressure on it with the grease gun. Most have 12,000 psi, probably a lot more then the hammer driven one. You may have to hold pressure on the handle for a bit, but most will give after a bit. Once you force the fluid through, the grease will follow.

And as mentioned, taking the weight off may help considerably.

Unless the zerk is at a location where there is a bushing, and the bushing grease hole has spun away out of alignment with the zerk hole.

/ Fittings won't take grease #6  
exercise the joint or roll the pin and try again..

/ Fittings won't take grease #7  
I had a similiar issue with two zerks on my TYM233; when I took it to the dealer for some warranty work, he found the spindle (not the zerk) was impacted (cleaned and working) and the other WAS NOT fully drilled out! They drilled it out and the zerk now accepts grease!

/ Fittings won't take grease #8  
18v Lincoln cordless grease gun. works every time