Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #31  
That's a distributors tax that dealers pay not a retail tax. Sure it's passed on but so is every other tax that any business pays. Besides it's the same price for "heating oil, kerosine, and other dyed diesel fuels". If you took the time to search you would have found countless news articles about a proposed tax on heating oil that got shot down quickly.

Maybe you should take the time to search, this was just passed.

Vermont Senate passes fuel tax increases - News - Boston.com

Here are more taxes that are hidden, but you DO pay them.

Tax and Title Fees | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #33  
Deerherd said:
For those who realize they do pay tax, here is the application to get your refund.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VP035-Diesel_Tax_Refund_App.pdf

That refund, is IF you bought CLEAR ON ROAD ULSD and used it for OFF ROAD purposes.

DYED OFF ROAD ULSD does not include a road tax. So would not need this refund form. That's why it is DYED. Because it is NOT ROAD TAXED.

It is also NOT the same as #2 Heating Oil, which is also DYED and NOT ROAD TAXED.

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #34  
Maybe you should take the time to search, this was just passed.

Vermont Senate passes fuel tax increases - News - Boston.com

Here are more taxes that are hidden, but you DO pay them.

Tax and Title Fees | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

In case you missed it the subject was off road diesel and heating oil. Why would you not take the time to read what you posed to understand that those taxes are not on either before calling someone else out on not taking the time to search. Trust me, I know what I pay taxes on, in Vermont it's almost everything but it's not ORD or heating oil.

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #35  
I would love to be able to tap off of those to fill my John Deere 850

For a 20 to 30 year old tractor (or older), I don't think I'd worry about the fuel. Just put it in and fire it up. The tractor, of course, was made before the introduction of ULSD.

Cetane is C[sub]16[/sub]H[sub]34[/sub], just like Octane is C[sub]8[/sub]H[sub]18[/sub].

The Cetane Number is a rating of the ignition characteristics of the fuel, and not specifically dependent on the actual Cetane content. Thus, even with no actual C[sub]16[/sub]H[sub]34[/sub], your fuel would not get a cetane number of 0.

What they may be saying, though, is that they do not guarantee a cetane equivalent of 40 as is standard in US fuel.

Anyway, your 30 year old tractor probably won't know the difference.

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #37  
In case you missed it the subject was off road diesel and heating oil. Why would you not take the time to read what you posed to understand that those taxes are not on either before calling someone else out on not taking the time to search. Trust me, I know what I pay taxes on, in Vermont it's almost everything but it's not ORD or heating oil.

I am not trying to argue, I posted the link that showed in VT you pay 6 percent tax on dyed diesel that is used for non propulsion purposes, ie heating oil. Yes it is hidden and my point is some distributors might not differentiate between the two to "pad" their tax returns and credits from the tax man. It can add up to some serious cash. That's why some will fill your heating oil and diesel from the same truck.

I would wager the majority of people here don't have a tank for diesel and fill cans or a portable tank at the gas station and do pay the tax. Those people are who can claim a refund for the taxes paid.

Have a great day.

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #38  
The Fuel Gross Receipts Tax is a tax of 0.5 % on the retail sales of the following fuels:

Heating oil, kerosene and other dyed diesel fuels delivered to a residence or business.
Natural Gas
Propane Gas
Electricity
Coal

All forms of energy in Vermont have a .5% tax that the retailer must pay. There's also a temporary 1 cent per gallon tax on kerosine, ORD, and other dyed fuels. Vermont sales and use tax, 6% does not apply to ORD.
Sales and Use Tax

The general sales tax rate is imposed on the buyer on the purchase price of tangible personal property, amusement charges, fabrication charges, and some public utility charges. There are 46
exemptions from the tax which include medical items, food, manufacturing machinery, equipment and fuel, residential fuel and electricity, clothing and shoes.

So to sum it up, there's a .5% tax and a temporary 1 cent per gallon hidden tax that the dealer must pay if they sell more than $10k a year.

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #39  
That MIGHT be true where you live (but I'd bet against it). It is NOT true where most of the rest of us live.

In every thread where this comes up, I am explicitly clear that it is a regional issue.

However, all that I have posted on the subject remains true. #2 heating oil is still used in maine, nh, vt, and even mass. To have threads which insist that #2 heating oil and off road diesel are the same is dangerous and untrue.

Some regions do not sell #2 heating oil, and only use dyed off road Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel. In those places, you are not putting heating oil in your tractor. You don't have heating oil. You heat your home with dyed diesel.

All that I have said applies to YOU wherever YOU live.

Because it is TRUE.

YOU want to ruin YOUR engine, that's fine. Don't post nonsense about running heating oil in a ULSD tractor. Because that is NONSENSE.

/ Off road Diesel versus #2 home heating oil #40  
In every thread where this comes up, I am explicitly clear that it is a regional issue.

However, all that I have posted on the subject remains true. #2 heating oil is still used in maine, nh, vt, and even mass. To have threads which insist that #2 heating oil and off road diesel are the same is dangerous and untrue.

Some regions do not sell #2 heating oil, and only use dyed off road Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel. In those places, you are not putting heating oil in your tractor. You don't have heating oil. You heat your home with dyed diesel.

All that I have said applies to YOU wherever YOU live.

Because it is TRUE.

YOU want to ruin YOUR engine, that's fine. Don't post nonsense about running heating oil in a ULSD tractor. Because that is NONSENSE.

That's odd. The receipt for the oil in the tank downstairs says Home Heating Oil, dyed. Maybe you should send a letter to my supplier and straighten him out.

You want to play word games, play with somebody who actually cares.