How good are fuel filters?

/ How good are fuel filters?
My concern was that grit from the dirt would find it's way into the cylinders and cause wear. I'm probably making too much out of it.

/ How good are fuel filters? #12  
My concern was that grit from the dirt would find it's way into the cylinders and cause wear. I'm probably making too much out of it.

much, muh. much more will get by the air filters than even the worst fuel filter.

/ How good are fuel filters? #13  
Years ago the two young kids of a guy I knew dumped a considerable amount of gravel into their granny's car gas tank (kids do the darnedest things! :D). Her son decided it HAD to be cleaned out and took it off and emptied as much gas as he could, then he got the absolutely brilliant idea to use him mom's vacuum cleaner to suck out the gravel. All went well until the gas fumes hit the vacuum cleaner motor which really didn't take all that long! :D The resulting mini explosion totaled the vacuum...fortunately the flame didn't travel back into the tank and blow it up too.

/ How good are fuel filters? #14  
Years ago the two young kids of a guy I knew dumped a considerable amount of gravel into their granny's car gas tank (kids do the darnedest things! :D). Her son decided it HAD to be cleaned out and took it off and emptied as much gas as he could, then he got the absolutely brilliant idea to use him mom's vacuum cleaner to suck out the gravel. All went well until the gas fumes hit the vacuum cleaner motor which really didn't take all that long! :D The resulting mini explosion totaled the vacuum...fortunately the flame didn't travel back into the tank and blow it up too.

Running electric motor + gas fumes=BOOM:D

/ How good are fuel filters?
Now, why didn't I think of that.:D

/ How good are fuel filters? #16  
Yea the filter will catch it and with that amount of dirt it wont even stop it up or come close to it.

I work in ther forestry field and i cringe in horror at the stuff that goes in that equiptment fuel tanks. There always changing filters, but again they have several but they also run like 40 gallons of fuel a day give or take on the equiptment. The fuel hose just lays in the back of the service truck, all kinds of oily drbris getting oun the nozzel and inside it as they toss it back in the truck, thinck a tube that you just throw into mud some will get into the end when it lands right. then if it falls off the tire as they put it back up reeling the hose in as the nozze is dragged across the ground!!!

Does the amount of dirt bother me...NO, dont sweat it, when you change filters if you have a sediment bowl just rinse it out with deisel and go on. If you have spin on filters just put a new one on. I would not even think of changing it sooner as that is not much dirt.

/ How good are fuel filters? #17  

I would be more concerned with the injector pump and injectors, sending dirt through them at extreme pressures!!!

That is if it even makes it through the injectors!!

Once in the cylinder, something that small will just blow out the exhaust. Were not talking sand grains here, nothing of any size like we mentioned makes it by the filter.

/ How good are fuel filters? #18  
by and far I imagine more dirt will enter thru the air filter system than the fuel filter system...

/ How good are fuel filters? #19