Oil type for small engine

/ Oil type for small engine #1  

DENNYCLARK

Tractor
john Deere X500
Just got my 1st John Deere garden tractor. X500 w/ Kawasaki twin - 25hp. I've had such good luck using synthetic oil in the past, with all my other small engines, I'd really like to do same on the JD. Dealer says NO. Use JD conventional oil. Also have a snowblower with it & next Winter will be running it all season.
Any thoughts???

/ Oil type for small engine #2  
I run dino on all my small engines, any reason the dealer said no? Can't say I ever really thought about it though b/c everything else bought new gets syn.

/ Oil type for small engine #3  
I see no issues but its not cost effective. All manufatures recommend a yearly oil change and even if you mowed 10 hours a week for the summer months you will not come close to wearing out the dino oil.

Chris

/ Oil type for small engine #4  
If the tractor is new, let it break in first. At the next change or two, go with your favorite synthetic. No problem.

/ Oil type for small engine #5  
I have a 25 hp Kawasaki on my toro zero turn. I run synthetic oil with wix filter.Read the book for the engine. It should state synthetic oil is ok

/ Oil type for small engine #6  
I run Rotella T 15W40 in all of my engines. Tractors, mowers, blowers, generators, even my race bikes...everything.

/ Oil type for small engine #7  
I run Rotella T 15W40 in all of my engines. Tractors, mowers, blowers, generators, even my race bikes...everything.

even my farm cuv says it likes 15w40 but that 10w30 CAN be used. :)

/ Oil type for small engine #8  
Hiya,

I run Amsoil 10w40 w/zinc in all my 4 stroke small engines, never a problem. Everything runs and sounds like new.

Make, model, engine, year.
Snapper 21" Commercial push, Wisconsin Robin, 1989
Snapper 21" Commercial self propelled, Wisconsin Robin, 1990
Ariens snowblower, Tecumseh, 1991
Deere 318, Onan, 1988
Little Wonder leafblower, B&S IC, 2002
Generac 17Kw generator, Generac (B&S Vanguard IC) V-twin, 2005

Tom

/ Oil type for small engine #9  
I noticed on my generator, B & S engine, the manual called for Dino 30 w at over 40 degrees F and 10w30 below 40 degrees F. You can use synthetic 10w30 at all temperatures that we experience. Since I only use these a few hours a year it makes sense to use synthetic. Also if you follow the instructions to the letter then you might have to change oil from morning to afternoon.

/ Oil type for small engine #10  
I use the same thing I use in my car in all of my 4-strokes. mobil 0w30 synthetic. Did the same thing in my JD with kawasaki motor. Never an issue and it was a 1989 mower. And my newer scag with kohler gets the same.

Sweet thing is...the scag takes the same oil filter as my car and my 4-wheeler takes the same as my wifes car:thumbsup:

Dont listen to deere unless it will somehow void your warranty. Deere didnt build that motor. And I dont think kawasaki would have any objections to running a good synthetic. And no more oil than they hold, it really dont cost that much more to use better oil.