Running tractor on Kerosene?

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
If I fill up my tractor (Kubota L4200) with Kerosene, what will happen? Would it be good or bad for it? Kerosene is about the same price as road diesel these days - if it's better for it, maybe I should use it? I don't really know the difference between Kerosene and diesel/fuel oil, but I know that I can use Kerosene in my oil furnace.

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #2  
A diesel engine injection system that operates at thousands of psi is different than an oil furnace which operates at low pressure.
Kerosene is a more highly refined product than diesel so it has even less lubricating properties than ULSD.
It can definitely damage your fuel system.
Don’t use it!
90cummins

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #3  
the old school way to lower freezing point is to mix kerosene with diesel in really cold climates. Nowadays its not a general practice anymore, but its been done. I wouldnt run straight kero as it would burn too hot. Guess what it might do to the engine? With kero nowadays, there seems to be documentation saying there is not enough lubricity for the newer engines.

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #4  
Around here kerosine comes dyed for off road and clear for on-road. Usually the stuff at the pumps is off road since I think it's rare to see anyone blending kerosine with diesel for winter use. I ran a 50/50 mix of it for one summer because I had too much left over from winter. Didn't have any problems but the engines sure start quick. I would use an additive that will add a lubricant to the fuel.

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #5  
My uncle had a late 1970's White tractor (made by Fiat, I think). He ran it on straight kero in the winter for many years, never had any fuel system problems that I remember. As has been said, the old school fuel systems were much less fussy about what they pumped.

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #6  
I have bought Kerosene in bulk off of Craigslist in the past. I mixed it with diesel (around 60 / 40 ) and added a little Power Service (silver) and ran it in my Kubota with no problems.

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #7  
That is a good question that I would like to read some printed facts about.

We ran kerosene (JP-5) in all kinds of non military diesels when I was in Spain in the 1970's without any known issues that I heard about or experienced in that era of diesels. Now the military gas cut the seals out of one guy's newer Volvo gas injector pump so he had to buy gas off base.

I think some try to run diesels on soybean juice today so they must still run on non diesel fuels. :)

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #8  
Straight kerosine no, not in today's wimp diesel engines.

I would cut my diesel with kerosine like ductape states, if I found myself that low on diesel and absolutely had to stretch it.

Last few years I have been using PS 'white bottle' year round. The tractor noticeably starts better, smokes less and runs smoother.

To me, the cost of running the additive is scratch compared to jelled fuel in winter, premature injector or pump fail...... Pay a little now, or alot later.

Eventually things DO wear out, the longer I can avoid that the better.

Boy these fuel threads.....:confused2:

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #9  
This is the only thing I've ever run straight kerosene in, lol.
2215_1030877576969_7541_n.jpg

/ Running tractor on Kerosene? #10  
That is a good question that I would like to read some printed facts about.

We ran kerosene (JP-5) in all kinds of non military diesels when I was in Spain in the 1970's without any known issues that I heard about or experienced in that era of diesels. Now the military gas cut the seals out of one guy's newer Volvo gas injector pump so he had to buy gas off base.

I think some try to run diesels on soybean juice today so they must still run on non diesel fuels. :)

JP-5 is a kerosene based jet fuel but it is not straight kerosene. K-1 Kerosene has no lubricity and will tear up a diesel pump, but military multifuel engines can burn it. JP-5 is usually okay in diesels with Bosch style pumps but not distributor pumps as in VW (who made the Volvo diesel).

K-1 will even tear up a jet engine fuel pump. Jet A, JP-5 has a lubricity spec but it's low. JP-8 is a fuel designed for both turbine and diesel engines. Adding oil will usually make it acceptable for lubricity but it has to be an oil with good high pressure qualities. Power Service has this oil in it.

At the airport we ran Jet A in a international fuel truck with the 466 engine and added Power Service to it. Never a problem.