Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up #1  

jeffinsgf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410
My tractor use plummeted after a few years...I've just done about everything that needs doing (did I really say that? :laughing:). I still use it a lot, but not enough to justify my 300 gallon bulk fuel tank. I sold it, and transferred the last 20 gallons into a 30 gallon used drum. Now, I need to get some out of the drum. As careful as I was cleaning the drum, I feel there's crud lurking in the bottom. What is the best cheap way to set up a manual barrel pump and filter so that I can fuel my tractors from a 30 gallon drum.

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up #2  
Being a small drum I would install a spigot and lay it on it's side with the spigot slightly elevated. Any crud will settle out, you can also use a funnel with a fine screen in it.
90cummins

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up
Filling it isn't the issue right now...that's a project for another day. I filled it from the bulk tank I sold. I'll either strap it to my trailer and take it into the station that sells off road, or just skip it and go back to 5 gallon jerry cans.

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up
I'm liking 90Cummins idea...in fact, I think if I rummage through my old junk, I might already have an acceptable spigot. Then if I do decide to just use jerry cans, I'm not out anything at all. Thanks!

Tipping that barrel over and getting it on something to support it will present some challenges, but not insurmountable. All this equipment has got to be good for something, right?

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up #6  
I have a manual pump in a 55 gallon drum for my diesel and I added a Goldenrod fuel filter to the set up between the pump and the fuel hose using balck iron pipe fittings and nipples. Works like a champ.

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up #7  
Ah - so this is just to empty the barrel once.

Chain it to the loader, then you don't need the pump. A valve that fits the 3/4 in nozzle should be under ten dollars.

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up #8  
Tipping that barrel over and getting it on something to support it will present some challenges, but not insurmountable. All this equipment has got to be good for something, right?

For future use, stand it up on a pallet and siphon the fuel.
You can pick it up with your FEL to fill the tractor.
P3310026.JPG P3130025.JPG

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up #9  
I would fill it then lay it down and not disturb it to let the crud settle out, or build a stand high enough so you can refuel your tractor by gravity with a fuel hose & nozzle.
Moving the barrel will stir up the crud.
90cummins

/ Small Barrel Fuel Transfer Set-Up #10  
My tractor use plummeted after a few years...I've just done about everything that needs doing (did I really say that? :laughing:). I still use it a lot, but not enough to justify my 300 gallon bulk fuel tank. I sold it, and transferred the last 20 gallons into a 30 gallon used drum. Now, I need to get some out of the drum. As careful as I was cleaning the drum, I feel there's crud lurking in the bottom. What is the best cheap way to set up a manual barrel pump and filter so that I can fuel my tractors from a 30 gallon drum.
You can use any size or combination of drums or barrels with this rig.