Diesel tank at the house

/ Diesel tank at the house #21  
The weight for diesel fuel is 7.3 lb per US gallon.

The disadvantage of my saddle tank is, I am siphoning out through the normal fuel line connection, which is 5/16", so it is slow. But better than lifting a 5 gallon can. I am retired and in no hurry! :D

/ Diesel tank at the house
Well I have a 4240 so I could easily do 150-200 lb. The more I think about it though, the more I might just go with delivered. I work 50 hrs a week and time is precious!

/ Diesel tank at the house #23  
I am sure tank size is not an issue for delivery. Here it is 150 gallons minimum for free delivery. They will delivery any amount but charge delivery charge if less than 150 gallons total.I would think that if you have the tanks sized for your needs, you could order on road and off road at the same time. As long as you meet the minimum amount for delivery, they bulk dealers shouldn't care if he has to put it into 2 separate tanks. Our distributor will fill my bulk tank, my brother in laws, top off our tractors if we want. We just need to meet the 150 gallon minimum between the two of us. He makes separate tickets for each. Our tanks are 100gallons x 2 but we rarely run them empty, we just watch for the prices to fall and have him deliver when he fills his bulk tanks at a cheap per gallon rate. Depending on when he gets his fuel, his price may be higher than pump price for on road stuff so you need to check them out before filling 300 gallons.
No way would I bulk store gasoline now with the quick deterioration of the ethanol blends. If you could get pure gas then maybe. I get my lawnmower gas in the no ethanol form and it last a couple of month with addition of stabil. I don't put anything in my diesel and it lasts at least a year with no problems between refills. As others have said, diesel doesn't go bad as long as it is kept water free.

/ Diesel tank at the house #24  
If you get the setup from the co-op, is the tank yours? Just doing some rough math, it looks like the setup comes with a full tank of fuel, so the tank and setup is about $600, which doesn't seem out of line. I've also kicked around doing what you are thinking of, but I own a BX some I'm probably burning less than 100 gallons a year in it, but I also own a diesel truck. It would be nice to fill up when ever you want. I've also kicked around getting some kind of transfer tank in my truck. The tool box-fuel tank combo looks nice, but pretty pricey new. I'd be more likely to do this if I owned a long bed truck.

In the end, I'll probably just keep doing what I do now, and fill up my truck and 5 gallon cans at the gas station.

If you get the setup from the co-op, is the tank yours? Just doing some rough math, it looks like the setup comes with a full tank of fuel, so the tank and setup is about $600, which doesn't seem out of line. I've also kicked around doing what you are thinking of, but I own a BX some I'm probably burning less than 100 gallons a year in it, but I also own a diesel truck. It would be nice to fill up when ever you want. I've also kicked around getting some kind of transfer tank in my truck. The tool box-fuel tank combo looks nice, but pretty pricey new. I'd be more likely to do this if I owned a long bed truck.

In the end, I'll probably just keep doing what I do now, and fill up my truck and 5 gallon cans at the gas station.

Yes the tank would be mine. It's actually used but they say they will make sure it is super clean. That includes the tank, a 12Vpump and filter set up (along with the full tank of diesel). I would set it next to my barn and run a cable into the barn where it would be hooked up to a 12V battery that is connected to a battery tender.

/ Diesel tank at the house #26  
I have no idea what that setup new would cost, but it seems reasonable. You just have to decide if its worth the convenience or not to have it at home.

/ Diesel tank at the house #27  
I went to the Tipton County Farmer's Coop (TN) and priced a 300 gallon tank with fuel delivery today.
1*The fuel would be low-sulpher "road" diesel
and would be used in my GMC Duramax and my 2012 Kubota L4240. Set up will cost about $1800 which includes tank, pump (12V power), filter and
the first tank fill, all delivered and installed. They can top me off on their route (go to Naval base in Millington once a week). I'm thinking probably 3
or 4 tanks per year plus I can install a diesel whole home generator "just in case". Anybody else doing this? Any issues with Coop fuel? Thanks!
1*I would get Red Fuel for the Kubota and clear fuel for the GMC.

2*I would look at a 55 gallon barrel with pump and filter instead and find some place that sells off-road fuel.
2*This would be an ideal solution for shucksters situation.

They have off road fuel....
3*-problem is I can't use that in my truck.
4*even if the diesel sits for awhile, will it be OK as long as I keep it treated?
3*The rig I pictured above allows storage of on road and off road at the same time.
4*Yes.

No I did not.....learn something new every day...however, *I want to be able to use it in my truck so a moot point
*See my post and photo.

Get two smaller barrels and have them deliver both as needed. Just a thought.
My rig I pictured above will do that perfectly.

5*That would be fabulous but there is a minimum tank size for them to deliver...
5*I think there is a min gallonage not tank size.

6*Is it a minimum tank size or a minimum amount for delivery? Around here they have a 100 gallon minimum but it can be any combination.
6*I'd say minimum amount ' after all what does tank size have to do with it?

7*do you see any issues with the quality of the diesel as long as it's treated?
7*No.

8*He WILL NOT buy Coop fuel...
8*Why not it's all the same thing.

9*Why not same tank truck, that the stations get theirs from?
9*Exactly.

10*Why no coop fuel?
10*Cuse he don't know any better.

11*I like that idea of being able to haul it myself. I honestly hadn't thought of loading it with the FEL (duh!). now just have to find a tank.
11*I like the using the idea of unloading with the pump much better myself.

WOW LBrown59- nice post. I love your setup. However, I am MUCH too stupid to put together that pumping rig!!:laughing: I got a call back from the COOP today.
He got me some discount and will deliver the whole rig with 300 gals of clear diesel for $1977 ($1068 is for the 300 gals- that's $3.66 a gallon). So, that's $909 for the tank, pump, filter base and filter including delivery and installation). I'm thinking hard about it......

Quick note- I know my math looks crazy... $1800 discounted to $1979 (say whaaat?) I was guesstimating the discount- started out at $2100. I think there is still a little wiggle room hopefully....

/ Diesel tank at the house #30  
I got my 300 gallon tank for 100 and a 120v pump and nozzle with 15 foot hose for 200 off craigslist....look around