Diesel tank at the house

/ Diesel tank at the house #1  

shucksters

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620 TLB with Cab, Kioti DK6010SE, Kubota BX2370 + FEL/60"MMM Kawasaki Mule ProFXT EPS LE
I went to the Tipton County Farmer's Coop (TN) and priced a 300 gallon tank with fuel delivery today. The fuel would be low-sulpher "road" diesel
and would be used in my GMC Duramax and my 2012 Kubota L4240. Set up will cost about $1800 which includes tank, pump (12V power), filter and
the first tank fill, all delivered and installed. They can top me off on their route (go to Naval base in Millington once a week). I'm thinking probably 3
or 4 tanks per year plus I can install a diesel whole home generator "just in case". Anybody else doing this? Any issues with Coop fuel? Thanks!

/ Diesel tank at the house #2  
How much of a discount off pump price are you getting on tax-paid fuel? When we bought our property, I had a lot of work to do, so I bought a 300 gallon tank with a stand and gravity feed. The first couple years, I went through one tank a year, but my last tank took me almost 3 years to use up. I sold the tank and now use a drum that I can put on a trailer and take it in to get off-road fuel. I understand your motivation, but paying the road tax on the fuel you'll use in your tractor and generator kind of defeats the purpose...unless the bulk discount is huge...which it isn't here, even from the co-op. I would look at a 55 gallon barrel with pump and filter instead and find some place that sells off-road fuel.

/ Diesel tank at the house
How much of a discount off pump price are you getting on tax-paid fuel? When we bought our property, I had a lot of work to do, so I bought a 300 gallon tank with a stand and gravity feed. The first couple years, I went through one tank a year, but my last tank took me almost 3 years to use up. I sold the tank and now use a drum that I can put on a trailer and take it in to get off-road fuel. I understand your motivation, but paying the road tax on the fuel you'll use in your tractor and generator kind of defeats the purpose...unless the bulk discount is huge...which it isn't here, even from the co-op. I would look at a 55 gallon barrel with pump and filter instead and find some place that sells off-road fuel.

They have off road fuel....problem is I can't use that in my truck. Even the new Kubota calls for low-sulpher diesel.....so the plan is to use it for everything..and the convenience of having it at the house. I do appreciate the input...and am still debating it. I'd like to have some extra fuel in case of an emergency as well.....(the Memphis potential earthquake as an example). I only have to order it filled when necessary. My main question is, even if the diesel sits for awhile, will it be OK as long as I keep it treated?

Thanks!

/ Diesel tank at the house #4  
... Even the new Kubota calls for low-sulpher diesel....
Thanks!

You do realize all fuel is now Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), even off road.

You do realize all fuel is now Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), even off road.

No I did not.....learn something new every day...however, I want to be able to use it in my truck so a moot point

/ Diesel tank at the house #6  
No I did not.....learn something new every day...however, I want to be able to use it in my truck so a moot point

I understand, just thought I'd let ya know. :)

/ Diesel tank at the house #7  
Get two smaller barrels and have them deliver both as needed. Just a thought.

Get two smaller barrels and have them deliver both as needed. Just a thought.

That would be fabulous but there is a minimum tank size for them to deliver....

/ Diesel tank at the house #9  
Is it a minimum tank size or a minimum amount for delivery? Around here they have a 100 gallon minimum but it can be any combination. How much fuel do you think you'll use in your Kubota? If it's not much then I'd probably not worry about it. If it's a fair bit then you always have the option of keeping track of how many gallons you used in the tractor and, if you get one, the generator and at the end of the year you can get the money back from the government.

Is it a minimum tank size or a minimum amount for delivery? Around here they have a 100 gallon minimum but it can be any combination. How much fuel do you think you'll use in your Kubota? If it's not much then I'd probably not worry about it. If it's a fair bit then you always have the option of keeping track of how many gallons you used in the tractor and, if you get one, the generator and at the end of the year you can get the money back from the government.

Yep good point- way more in the truck than the Kubota....do you see any issues with the quality of the diesel as long as it's treated?