Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle?

/ Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle? #1  

DutchHenryBrown

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010
Getting ready to set up my 55 gal drum for diesel and want to get a good automatic shut off nozzle that will work. Looking for suggestions from the TBN group.

Thanks much.

Bill

/ Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle? #2  
Fill-Rite(Tuthill)makes good stuff.However,I don't think an automatic shutoff nozzle will work without a good transfer pump.Expect to pay $75-100 for a good diesel fuel nozzle and $300-400 For a transfer pump.Gravity feed will not work for an auto shutoff nozzle.Most likely not what you wanted to hear.Good Luck!

/ Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle? #3  
We have an auto shutoff nozzle on our hand cranked pump. Works well and it only cost me $10 (with a 10' length of hose) at a shop sale.

Aaron Z

/ Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle?
Fill-Rite(Tuthill)makes good stuff.However,I don't think an automatic shutoff nozzle will work without a good transfer pump.Expect to pay $75-100 for a good diesel fuel nozzle and $300-400 For a transfer pump.Gravity feed will not work for an auto shutoff nozzle.Most likely not what you wanted to hear.Good Luck!

Well the nozzle price is not to bad, but your right the transfer pump price is a little on the high side for me.

/ Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle? #5  
I bought a nozzle at TSC that was suppose to shut off on its own. (Can't remember the make, it has a blue rubber a sleeve and was about $50.)

I figured out it didn't work properly after it spilled about two gallons of fuel all over the side of my RTV. I took it back and received a replacement, only to discover it didn't work either. I should have went and got my money back but, for whatever stupid reason, I just deal with it.

Oh btw, I use it with a 12v Fill Rite pump.

Edit, it is a GPI nozzle.

/ Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle? #6  
My local bulk fuel distributor gives em away because they have too legally replace the ones at the service station every few year. He has a box full of em. I imagine your local guy does the same. They just dont have the lil hook on the back to hang on a fillrite pumps i use.

I bought a nozzle at TSC that was suppose to shut off on its own. (Can't remember the make, it has a blue rubber a sleeve and was about $50.)

I figured out it didn't work properly after it spilled about two gallons of fuel all over the side of my RTV. I took it back and received a replacement, only to discover it didn't work either. I should have went and got my money back but, for whatever stupid reason, I just deal with it.

Oh btw, I use it with a 12v Fill Rite pump.

The problem you are having with your nozzle is the reason I asked my question. Do you think it's just the nozzle or like #2 said a bigger pump to make the nozzle system work?
Although Aaron said he is using a hand crank pump with his auto shut off nozzle.
Thank you all for the imput I will have to think on this project a little more.

My local bulk fuel distributor gives em away because they have too legally replace the ones at the service station every few year. He has a box full of em. I imagine your local guy does the same. They just dont have the lil hook on the back to hang on a fillrite pumps i use.

I will have to look on line to see if I can find a bulk fuel outfit nearby and ask them. Thanks.

/ Best automatic diesel shut off nozzle? #9  
The problem you are having with your nozzle is the reason I asked my question. Do you think it's just the nozzle or like #2 said a bigger pump to make the nozzle system work?
Although Aaron said he is using a hand crank pump with his auto shut off nozzle.
Thank you all for the imput I will have to think on this project a little more.

My only two guesses are that the pump is not producing the required GPM for the nozzle to work (picked pump up used), or that the nozzle is just junk.

I have to leave the key on and watch the fuel gauge when I'm filling up, which is less than ideal.

Last edited: