Old fuel.....

/ Old fuel..... #41  
I can get local no E 87 octane, 92/3 octane as well as that racing like 104 octane that has no E. Plus what you get at the marinas, but i do live within 10 miles of a major lake in the area and tere are stations strategically placed around the lake that cater to the NO E crowd.

/ Old fuel..... #42  
Everyone has their opinions.... so here's mine. First I NEVER use anything but real gas in every engine I have (except my cars) because I know they will not be use for long periods of time. Every 5 gal gas can I fill up I put in stabil and marvel mystery oil (2 oz of each).
I have a 5000 W generator in my garage I had not touched in 9 years. It was full of fuel when I parked it. Last summer a storm put us out of power for 2 days. Pulled out the generator, 4 pulls and it started right up. (I was expecting the need of a full carb build) Never had a problem and of course it was filled up 6 more times in the two days it was running. Other than that, I have used gas that was well over a year old with no issues. I try to use most up during the summer as I have 15 5 gal cans stored in case of hurricanes. If I don't use it, it waits for use in my small mowers, washers, weed eaters etc. I know the feeling of having gas left over from year to year. I just never worry about it.
Hope it all works out for you.

I wish we could get real gas here. By law its all E10 & diesel is B2.

The plus side it keeps my marine and small engine business plenty busy....

Aviation gas is all Non E

Chris

/ Old fuel..... #44  
there is a marina in our area.. but I'm still 45m from it.. so it's not convienient.

there is a raceway, about 30m away that has 100_ oct no e fuel.. not that i need 100+ oct for anything I have. etc.

/ Old fuel..... #45  
Drain it if you can.It might lead to bigger problems down the road.coobie

/ Old fuel..... #46  
5-year old gasoline? .... seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd get it out of there. I wouldn't even run that stuff in my yard equipment. Now, you're talking to a guy that regularly keeps gas sitting around for over a year. It's non ethanol and I double or triple treat it when I bring it home and have never had a problem. 18 months is the longest I have kept gas and it ran great when I put it in the old Dodge van. But 5-years is a long time. It's not worth the headache of trying to use it.

I might do what Soundguy suggested, feed it back in during the summer a little at a time but it would be a little at a time. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I don't think so.

/ Old fuel..... #47  
Chris, do you know if they use one of the alcohol treatments to remove water from avgas?

If not it would be interesting to know why.

Not on Av Gas. We test it and drain off all water via a low point sump. That gas is 100 LL (low lead)

Jet fuel we do. We use a anti fungal addative periodically and there is a anti ice additive called Prist that is pre mixed at about 1/2 of the fuel suppliers. The others can mix as they pump.

My jet does not require Prist because we have a oil to fuel heater. We are required to treat our tanks for anti fungal by a time limit or gallon limit, whichever comes first.

Chris

/ Old fuel..... #48  
That makes sense with JP-8 or whatever since the combustion environment and friction surfaces are different from reciprocal combustion.

/ Old fuel..... #49  
My advice is to drain the gas and if the engine(s) have carbs pull them and get them rebuilt. Remove the fuel pump to clean out any bad fuel and low the fuel lines out. I have been down this road with my father Mercruser. It wasn't pretty. I spent way too long trying to get the engine running after sitting for 4 years because I didn't want to take the time to do it right the first time. The last thing you want is to find out the hard way out on the water.