Old fuel.....

/ Old fuel..... #1  

mrcaptainbob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens HT-20
It pains me to say this: I have almost 280 gallons of gasoline, 140G in each of two tanks, on my boat that is approaching five years old. The real pain comes from not having used the boat very much (not at all) in that time. At the time it was topped off I added more than the recommended amount of Stabil to the tanks. It was mixed well. I plan to use the boat this year. How can I make sure that it's useable and safe for the engines? Would it have lost it's 'octane' in that time? Can I add octane booster? Not a fan of replacing 280G's of gasoline just-in-case. Would like to be sure first. Any suggestions or recommendations?

/ Old fuel..... #2  
This must be one heck of boat. I would be afraid to go out on one of the great lakes with this gas. I would at least pump some of it out and try it in something else. Like the wife's car.

/ Old fuel..... #4  
Fuel has been in the lines and presumably in the bowl of the carb all this time, so you probably can't hurt anything by trying to crank and run it some. If it runs ok at various throttle settings with enough power you might just not have to waste all that fuel. You might consider a very healthy dose of Seafoam.

I'd be equally if not more concerned about the crankcase oil assuming you aren't running outboards.

On the other hand the safest bet and most direct way to recommissioning her is to have the fuel pumped out and replace with fresh. A complete oil change and lube of important linkages etc.

Don't forget to inspect and replace safety equipment such as your fire extinguishers, flares, radios and life jackets!

/ Old fuel..... #5  
Captbob,

Drain out the old fuel, and run it in the lawn mower. Do not even consider running that gorp out on the lake.
Every spring and early summer, dozens of folks try to run last years fuel, and end up getting towed in by either a good samaritan, or the coasties.
Replacing the fuel will be cheaper than the tow bill, time lost, and possible damage to the motor.

There is no reviving stale gas with additives, or seperating the water out of it, with the latest wonder in a bottle.
Folks that try, are the reason our Marina(s) are backed up 3 Mos on repairs.

5 years is a long time for the acids in ethanol blended gas to attack a fuel system, and carb.
Take a good look at things.

/ Old fuel..... #6  
Must be quite the boat indeed! What about draining only one tank, reuse the gas in your daily driver. Put fresh gas with sea foam to purge out the engine and lines of old stuff. Once you know everything is running good on new gas then try running the old stuff through. If you then have a problem switch back to the new stuff again.
I'm assuming big fuel tank, big boat, big water. You don't want to get stranded miles away from shore for bad gas. Jmo

/ Old fuel..... #7  
I work on boats for a living and there is no way I would use it in any of my boats or customers.

Cost of doing business but much cheaper then a $8000 rebuild for a V8 marine engine.

Chris

/ Old fuel..... #8  
So how old can gas get, before it should be replaced ?
Is it 1, 2,3 or 4 years ?

/ Old fuel..... #9  
Interested in what would be done with the old gas when the marinated pumps it out. Disposal fees beyond the pumping fees? How does one dispose of old gas?

/ Old fuel..... #10  
So how old can gas get, before it should be replaced ?
Is it 1, 2,3 or 4 years ?

Depends.

Ethanol blended Gas is fine for low compression, low performance motors after 3-4 months.
The same Gas will raise havoc in 2 cycles, or in higher compression 4 strokes, and quite often, after 6 weeks and depending on conditions it was stored in, can be water contaminated and phase seperated. Plastic storage containers are actually porous, and gas stored in them, should be considered somewhat contaminated after 45 days as a general rule.

Real Gas, with no corn in it, can be stored for a year, with little noticeable degradation, if stored properly.
Much longer than a 3-4 months is pushing things though, and especially for Boats, Motorcycles, and other high performance motors.

A plain old glass pickle jar with a lid, is a wonderfull tool.
Let any suspect gas sit in the jar overnight, and see what seperates out.

Either way, for boats heading out on the great lakes, or motorcycles playing in traffic, 2 cycle OPE, keep it fresh as you can, or it can cost you dearly.

Run the old stuff in the truck, field pumps, and old tractors that could handle distillate. Whoofing brush piles also comes to mind.:D