NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference?

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #1  

MajMac392

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7234, John Deere X300 Riding Lawn Mower
NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Is there any difference?

I couldn’t stand it anymore so I asked the local NAPA dealer what the differences between the two different filters and I got a “chuckle and I’m not sure, the Gold must be better”. So I emailed NAPA on line and got the following response:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 12:57 PM
Subject: RE: Case # 227326

Dear Mr. M.,

Thank you for shopping NAPAonline.com. NAPA Silver oil filters features include:

1. Cellulose filtering media – removes dirt and contaminants from engine oil.

2. Perforated lock seam steel center tube – ensures stable element support.

3. Metal end caps – provides a positive seal to prevent oil by-pass

4. Anti-drain back valve (where applicable) – prevents engine damage due to dry starts.

5. Safety by-pass valve (where applicable) – eliminates oil starvation due to a clogged filter or cold starts.

6. Coiled steel support spring – provides maximum sealing protection in case of pressure surges.

7. Limited warranty.

NAPA gold oil filters besides sharing feature/benefit points 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, additional premium – only features/benefits include.

1. Fiberglass enhanced media – has 50% more contaminant hold capacity than NAPA Silver – Capture more smaller, potentially engine damaging contaminants.

2. Extra strong steel spiral center tube – provides superior collapse protection.

If you should have any additional questions, concerns, or comments, please feel free to contact us by calling toll free 1-877-805-6272 Monday thru Friday 8AM-8PM EST or your can email Customer Support at any time

customersupport@napaonline.com.

Again, we thank you for visiting NAPAonline.com.
Regards,
Customer Support

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #2  
Re: NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any differen

Based on NAPS's reply, I woul;d say that the only real difference is price.

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #3  
From what I have read, the Walmart filters are just as good as most of the best filters, and a lot cheaper. A lot better than Fram I'm told.

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #4  
I think there wix if you go to advance auto i think the difference is the wix and wix super or something. If you do a search on filter tests you'll find wix filters are the best. Most problems in filters are the way they seal the cartridge inside and the anti-drain back and oil pressure release valve. some are cardboard fram some are glued.

Most renamed filter walmart etc.. are rebadged i suspect since walmart only seems to carry fram the wally world ones are obselete fram part #'s.. I don't realy know but would make sense..

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #5  
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ If you go to this site they will have a lot on filters, that is where I found that the Walmart filters are very good, and the price is good. That is what they do on that site oil and filters. They know more than the average guy about them as they test all the time. They are not just guessing as most people do.

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #6  
Looks like they just do a flow comparison the testing i seen had actual filtration and construction diagrams and comparison testing of about 30 filters it indicated there's only about 3 filter makers.. Champion labs, Wix and fram most are relabeled.

There's a bunch of filters that after a while the filter starts filling up and then it ruptures internaly leaving oil going under the cartridge and bypassing filtering all together.

But in saying that as long as the walmart brand ain't a fram it's probaly ok you can find the print code and compare to same fram and wix and puralator and you'll be able to tell construction too..

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #7  
Champion labs says the black filters of Walmarts are identical to the Bosch premium filter. They also make Mobil 1 filters. What more can I say. I will keep on useing them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ NAPA Oil Filters Silver vs. Gold, Any difference? #8  
well in that case that's a great deal..